Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the great advice I've already got from the forums just reading through other threads!

I'm Liz, I'm 23 and I started running properly about four months ago. I completed the Race for Life 5k at the Norfolk Showground in 32 minutes in May and now I've signed up for the 10k one in October...although I can't run the whole of that distance at the moment. I'm also considering doing the Norwich Half Marathon (and even persuading colleagues to do the business challenge) at the end of November this year.

I'm hoping that I haven't taken on - or thought about taking on - too much too soon? I run every other day and am currently covering a distance of 6km in about 40 minutes, gradually increasing the amount of time spent running. Last time I ran for 35 minutes out of 42. All I'm aiming for is to get round both races comfortably - is increasing milage enough, or should I try and put in hill runs etc? I'm sticking to no more than 10% more mileage a week at the moment.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Liz and welcome :)

I've only been running since early March, but that's what I did started off running just 2 miles, then increased each week. Now can run 9 miles. I'm no expert but I have recently done some hill work but I need to do this more regularly as my speed doesn't seem to be improving that much, yet.

Sounds to me like you are doing really well by concentrating on the distance.

:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Liz

You are doing great, keep at it and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to RF by the way.

TT :d

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum Liz, as others have said you're doing great, very sensible approach, and loads of time. You will be fine for the 10K in October.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments, your encouragement really helps!

Upped my distance by just over a km today but managed the same pace so feeling a bit pleased with myself. :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Liz.

I did Norwich half last year...it poured down.The showground became a quagmire and a nightmare to drive out of!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to RF Liz.

I did Norwich half last year...it poured down.The showground became a quagmire and a nightmare to drive out of!

Nothing like a bit of encouragement :p

Well done on the distance increase. At this rate you will be able to run there and avoid the car park.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Nothing like a bit of encouragement :p

Well done on the distance increase. At this rate you will be able to run there and avoid the car park.
Just telling it how it was...a spade's a spade after all!!:lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Just putting shovel away..........

Blue sky, red hot sun, no breeze......all ordered for 24/8......unless that's not what you mean by perfect weather!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luckily I won't need to drive to the showground so the weather can do as it wishes! Besides, I got soaked to the skin while out last night and it was brilliant...it's the wind and cold that bothers me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts