Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I will introduce myself as a newbie as I am really struggling with my jogging at the moment (not quick enough to call myself a runner!!)

I did a 5km last January and was about to start training for a 10km when I got a bad injury and was out for 4 months. I then joined a ladies football team and instead of giving me the opportunity to do more jogging, I have found it harder to run any distance (training is more shuttle runs than distance).

What I haven't mentioned is I have lost 5 stone in the past year but still have another 4 or so to go yet so I am still overweight although alot fitter than I look (or so I think). My times aren't really important to me at the moment as I think I walk quicker than I jog, but we all have to start somewhere dont we!!

Any advice on how I can increase my training from 2 miles to higher would be greatly appreciated.

Nicola

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Welcome Nicola,
I took up running last February for a race for life and I was out for a couple of months over the summer due to various biomechanical related injuries that probably still are not completely sorted.

I think we sometimes get very obsessed with speed when in reality its more important to increase our endurance base so that the muscles and tendons in our bodies can adjust to the high impact of running. I usually run at 12/11 minutes per mile but over shorter distances I can do 9/10 minutes per mile. You may find intially if you want to run further that you may have to run slower - imagine you are holding a conversation or maybe use a HRM.

Well done on the weight loos that is absolutely excellent. I've managed to lose a couple of stone but ideally I'd like to lose a couple more but I do find that running has stimulated my appetite and I've probably stayed the same weight for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Nicola,
Just though I'd jump on and say Hi as well as i'm also a newby!
I Started running about 4 months ago. Completed my 1st 10k in October and i'm entered in the tough guy in January. Don't know what sort of training to do for that so i'm jsut gonna keep running off road and hope that will do !!
Congratulations on the weightloss.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd try to follow a plan. There are lots of excellent schedules out there for free. Its what I did and by following them I think I have come on quicker than if I just went out for a run. Its taught me the importance of mixing up the way I run in a week ( I run one shorter but faster run, one with intervals and a long slow Sunday run).

The schedule also stops you doing too much too soon. Most importantly though I think for me it has given me more benefit from my efforts as its so much more focused.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts