Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I have now done my first 10k after 10 weeks of running and loved it! I found that having a goal helped me to stick to the training and kept me motivated. Sooooo...where to next? Should I stick with 10k and try to beat my time? Or should I sign up for a 10 mile or half marathon to aim towards? There is a local, fairly flatish one in October I think...

Any advice much appreciated as ever. Feel a bit guilty that I am doing all the asking and you lot are doing all the answering of my questions, but maybe will be able to give something back one of these days :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I went from 5k to 10 miles so if you want to see if you can run 13 miles (and flat sounds tempting) then no reason you couldn't do a HM. You could also do another 10K inbetween as well. The options are endless.

I'm doing my first 10K next Sunday then my first HM at the end of May.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Entering races is the motivation I seem to need to train regularly.

I ran my first race last October,like yours it was a 10k.
I ran 2 more at the same distance within 6 weeks of the first for the simple reason I enjoyed it.

Since then I have run a couple of 5k races and a half marathon.I also plan to run in a few races in the next couple of months.

So my advice is to enter as many races as you like.If the next one happens to be another 10k,by all means set yourself the goal of a PB,If not enjoy the challenge of a new distance,whether it be longer or shorter than 10k.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
GoSlow said:
I found that having a goal helped me to stick to the training and kept me motivated. Sooooo...where to next? :embarrassed:
As Dave has already intimated, having a goal keeps you motivated. So start thinking about your next race - of whatever distance so long as you think you can handle it, and get that entry form sent off. Personally I'd stick to 10K's for a couple more races to raise your overall cruising speed, and get a couple of PB's to boost your confidence.
Also, I'd join a club or at least find yourself a regular running partner to train with. It's amazing how much fun a training session seems when you're doing it in company - even things like track intervals or hill reps (not that I found many hills when I was down there!). On your own it can feel very hard indeed and could discourage you.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
People will talk you know...................:d
"Let them talk , let them talk, let them all talk"

ON A MORE SERIOUS MATTER... put your mortgage on Sheff Utd rolling over against Wigan on the basis that neither club happy with the lack of a points penalty and that WHU unlikey to get a point at OT.:mad:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Here's hoping that West Ham come down on saturday ;) , City already promoted and I'd love a trip to Upton Park !!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
Here's hoping that West Ham come down on saturday ;) , City already promoted and I'd love a trip to Upton Park !!
Were staying up..............................

Please..............:confused:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
GoSlow said:
OK guys, I have now done my first 10k after 10 weeks of running and loved it! I found that having a goal helped me to stick to the training and kept me motivated. Sooooo...where to next? Should I stick with 10k and try to beat my time? Or should I sign up for a 10 mile or half marathon to aim towards? There is a local, fairly flatish one in October I think...

I say Do it Do it, even more so if it is a flat course.

The first race I ever took part in was a half marathon, I am doing things in the wrong order I think, as I have my first 10 miler coming up in 2 weeks and a 10k in June and 2 halfs in September, that should keep me out of trouble.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think it's good to do different races...5k, 10k, 10m 1/2m etc and if you can even some cross country. Doing the same thing could make you lose enthusiasm Twinks.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steve said:
I think it's good to do different races...5k, 10k, 10m 1/2m etc and if you can even some cross country. Doing the same thing could make you lose enthusiasm Twinks.
I am rather looking forward to doing the shorter mileage races.

The GNR in September I am not planning on doing a time, as I don't think it will be possible, but really looking forward to the experience of such a big event. :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
twinkle toes said:
I am rather looking forward to doing the shorter mileage races.
Me too TT.

I`ve got a 5k cross country tonight and a 5 mile very flat road race on sunday.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Me too TT.

I`ve got a 5k cross country tonight and a 5 mile very flat road race on sunday.
Best of luck Dave, let us know how you get on :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Could be fun tonight in the rain................:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts