Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd ask about something I have had for ages, after a long run (or in fact any longer than about 6 miles) when I walk down stairs or crouch down I can 'feel' something at the back of my leg just up from the heel. (like a elastic band twang - crap description I know)

Anyone know what it might be and how I strengthen it or fix it.

Never feel it going upstairs, running / walking or playing football.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Granty.

It's hard to say what it is without examining you. Let’s get a few more details here so I can try and give you some advice.

Is it on one leg or both? How long does the feeling last for after a run? Do you get it with every run? When was the last time you bought trainers? Did it feel easier after? What type of pain is it? is it a dull ache, or a sharp pain?

Are you male or female? Getting at do you ever ware heals? What is you job? Are you standing or sitting for much of the day?

Sorry, I just need to know some of this info to be able to give you an opinion.

Nicola :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brightonosteopath.com said:
Hi Granty.

It's hard to say what it is without examining you. Let’s get a few more details here so I can try and give you some advice.

Is it on one leg or both? How long does the feeling last for after a run? Do you get it with every run? When was the last time you bought trainers? Did it feel easier after? What type of pain is it? is it a dull ache, or a sharp pain?

(have to careful mentioning heels on this forum !) :p I'm male, don't wear heels, IT support and mainly sat at desk

Sorry, I just need to know some of this info to be able to give you an opinion.

Nicola :)
Always the left one, never feel it other than going down the stairs or crouching, only on long runs, new trainers from Easy Runner a fortnight ago, feels like a loose piece of elastic.

Are you male or female? Getting at do you ever ware heals? What is you job? Are you standing or sitting for much of the day?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Shame Nicola hasn't been on since her last post... certainly sounds like she knows a bit!

I probably can't add anything to what you already know Granty, I would've said it sounds like a tight calf tendon/ligament issue (if not the muscle itself), the motion of crouching or going downstairs probably being the only situations when the affected area is contracted and has to bear a load - though the 'twang' sounds a little concerning!

as for strengthening... squats? though be careful, it sounds like over working it could well make the problem worse :(

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not run for a few days and it seems much better, out for 60 mins tonight so I'll take it steady and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
How did the run go last night Granty.

OK I hope...................

Palace helped you out last night I see.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went really well thanks dave, ran for 50 min and managed 6 miles so was made up with that. Shins really hurt for the 1st mile and then settled down.

Bring on Bath I say !!

Great result for Palarse - surely nothing can stop the mighty surge now !?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts