Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be such a burden for so many. For me, its a real annoyance now.

For over a month i've having a niggling ache in my lower lower back when running. I can often run through it... after around 30 mins (my usual run time is 30-50 mins).

I changed my running shoes months ago, correctly suited for my feet.

I've tended to do the same route several times a week, 3/4 miles.

I cycle regularly, and all is well there.

Im struggling to figure whats up. It doesn't feel particularly sore when I touch my lower back, if at all. Plus, I have a pretty good stretching routine.

I haven't got the money right now to see my sports physio to be honest, so any advice or suggestions would be really helpful. I've had a quick look around forums and one thing that strikes me is 'tight hamstrings' being a possibility. Is self massage an option?!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the same sort of thing I think. I get an ache going across the right-hand side of my back from the middle out over the top of my hip. It got quite bad and I had to stop running for a while.

I went to my GP and he suggested that its the joint that holds the pelvis onto the spine. It fits together errmmmmm clench your fists and put your knuckles together, like that. When it moves it hurts (obviously)

My GP suggested pilates or the like because I'm basically weak in the gut. Core strengthening is supposed to be the key.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Although running is great for the heart, lungs, legs, ankles and burning up the calories, it does nothing for the core muscles and arms.

When I can, I use weights to strengthen my abdomen (it is also helping to tone the stomach back into shape now that I have a new one!) but I know I should do more than I do. I'm just not comfortable in the weights room with all the body builders. While I have the muscles in the legs I look just like Mr Muscle when working out beside some of the others there

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have discovered that my gymball is really useful for sitting on whilst on pc. Not only for sit ups! I really feel the difference inside, I'm engrossed in what I'm doing so don't notice the work my core is having to do just to keep me upright.

Just a thought as we all have a pc:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im booked in for a sports massage on Monday, hoping to get a few things sorted out then.

Im not going to my GP, as he'll just tell me to see a sports physio as their aim is to get you back running or whatever you need to do. Ashame sports physio stuff is so expensive though, being self employed means I have to watch the pennies.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Would your gp not put you in for physi through the nhs? I know they vary a lot and I have to say mine is great. He also understands about running etc as he completed the ironman last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you find that your massage works though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had my massage, on the whole my muscles feel more relaxed. Physio said all my quads, calves and hamstrings were all tight. Damn! Im going to try a short run later. Gonna be a struggle - this I know!

But during the massage I had a really bad cramp in my right calf. Oh man, it killed. The cramp pain went after about a minute but there is painstill there now actually, very strange. Physio said young people always get cramps more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts