Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am training for a 5km race and was wondering what is best the day before the race.

Some training schedules say rest and others say that an easy run is best.

My race is in the evening after a long hard day at work so I don't want to be too knackered.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would always do a very easy 20 minute run in the kit you are going to wear, just to make sure there aren't any chafes, hot spots on feet etc.. Good luck!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have tried resting and running a bit the day before.
I feel better with an easy run of half an hour the day before.
You have to try different approaches before finding out what works best for you.
Rest or run this time, do the other way round in the next... This way you'll find out what your body requires.
Same thing with pre-race meals.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I once made the mistake of having 8 pints of Kronenbourg the night before a 5km race - and somehow managed to set a PB.

Generally, I would just relax and not do any exercise the day before a race.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice.

I might try just doing an easy run the day before if I feel up to it and as for pre race meal, I had not even thought about that. I am an erratic eater but do not want to overload too much, is ceral a good think for brekkie followed by maybe a jacket potatoe for lunch or some pasta?

I know we are going for a p*ss up after the race so I shall probably be on the beer but as for 8 pints....I think I probably wouldn't able to run in a straight line or more likely I would be out cold.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
For a 5k you don't need to worry about diet too much just eat a normal healthy food that you enjoy - what you suggest sounds absolutely fine. If I get up really early for a run I often don't have time for breakfast so I often eat my breafast when I go to bed then have a milkshake when I come through the door if its been a long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts