Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping for some advice.
I'm training for my first half marathon (pats himself on the back) and I bought a pair of Nike Air spans. They are really comfortable generally but when I upped my mileage from 7 to 10 miles I felt a lot of discomfort on the sole of my left foot due the built in I-Pod sensor thingy. There is a hard plastic rim that sits very slightly above the surface of the inner sole and with every stride I can feel this thing imprinting itself onto my foot. Is there a way of relieving or removing this item because I don't think I could do 13 miles on them.

Thankyou for listening, regards

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi OER

Welcome to the forum and good for you for entering a 1/2 marathon, when do you plan to do it?

I have the same trainers and have only experienced the discomfort once or twice, but couldn't tell you how to fix it so if anyone does know I too would be interested to know...

TT

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi twinkle toes, I'm doing it in December (The Bedford half marathon) and I'm looking forward to it it's just the thought of these trainers that's putting me off. If all else fails I'll have to buy a different pair but it hurts to have to shell out another £60 + when I shouldn't have to.

Regards

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck with that and let us know how you get on, once you have done one you will definitely want to do more :eek:

Just a thought about the trainers could you try insoles? :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trainers have got insoles in them already so I was surprised that it was affected as much as it is. I'm not heavy footed particularly, I'm 6ft 2" and weigh in at 13 stone 8 so I'm not really overweight either. Well I don't think so anyway:)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Do you actually use the Nike+ sensor thingy? if so, does it feel the same with the 'blank' thing that was originally in the sole?

If you have the trainers as they came out the shop I'm sure you could remove the piece that goes in the Nike+ sensor hole and sand it down a little so it doesn't sit proud? Or if worst came to worst you could just take it out altogether perhaps?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've heard a few people say that about the shoes with the iPod sensor... Is it firmly in, or could you maybe grab a chisel and do a bit of shoe surgery?

If not, Sorbothane insoles are thick and rubbery they might do the trick

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try thicker insoles to start with I think. I'll let you know of any improvements. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts