Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i brought a pair the other day (mainly cos they were bright yellow) i only brought them to wear about town and spent all day in them and it started to make a knee problem that ive been rid of for 6months flare up again.

does anyone use them to run in? i would love to know how you stand it.
I dont mind using unsupported, unstable fell running shoes as well, from what i can see your going to hurt afterwards anyway and an twist every now and then is enevitable but for road running, can lighter shoes make you go that bit faster.

anyone?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The Mayflies were designed with the very lightest/fastest of runners in mind, for racing over distances no further than 10k. They have also been designed to quite literally fall apart after something like 60 miles. It's where the reference to the Mayfly comes in... They are born, they mate, and they die in the space of a day or so... Very short life-span... Like the shoe.

Lighter shoes can allow you to run faster, but out-and-out racing shoes (like the Mayfly) have very little in the way of cushioning, and as such are not recommended for, shall we say, the "larger" runners out there. ;)
If you're walking around town in your Mayflies, you're merely shortening their life-span as running shoes, I'm afraid. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i dont plan to run in them, so thats fine.
so does anyone acctully run in them for training runs or do you save them for racing?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
They are purely an out-and-out racer. And considering their very short life-span, I doubt that anyone would want to waste any of that limited mileage on training runs.
They really do fall apart when their time's up! :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we shall see, but the foam soles are very scruffed after being out side three times and one of them was on a bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mayfly or Vaporfly

Hi
I run in Vaporfly and also have a pair of Mayfly, I use them mainly for racing up to half marathon and have had no problems, I also use them for fast training intervals I find them an excellent shoe far better then the Mayfly offering more support and softer feel. I also have Nike Jasari and Ekiden both of which I have had heat spot problems, If your a light runner the Vaporfly can be quite a bargin on certain websites where they can be had for £19.99(dorunning) I think that both these shoes are for the lighter runner and out of the two the Vapor is far better and built to last longer while being roughly the same weight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Vaporfly is meant to be 175gms and Mayfly 135gms, massive difference in cushioning though!! Mayfly is good for what it's designed for (short races for light efficient runners) but dodgy if put on the wrong feet!! For value, Vaporfly is much better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not too sure on the weight of the DS Racers, my guess would be around the 220-230 gms mark, owing to the fact they have a medial post?Only remember the weights of the Nike shoes from my tech training a few years ago!!
Don't worry, I know I need to get out more!!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
blimey... that's quite a weight difference then! Even moreso when you consider the weight of normal trainers!

*Note to self... must shed more weight and invest in mayfly's*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts