Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else run with this piece of equipment? The transmitter sits in your shoe and the receiver plugs into your ipod allowing instant feedback on progress, distance, time etc.

I bought one about a month ago. Whilst I find it really useful for recording my training runs, I'm disappointed that the non changeable battery is already telling me it is low! The only way around it is to replace the whole unit.

Fortunately, the ebay site I purchased it from has agreed to replace it. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pedestrian said:
Sorry, is this the transmitter battery or the one in the iPod? :embarrassed:
It is the transmitter battery that is low. Unlike the ipod itself, you cannot recharge it or replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
lucky the sites changing it but even so I'm sure It should come under warranty as I'd say its faulty. its spec states its battery will last 3000 hours which is alot of running. I've just ordered mine tonight off amazon. I think it should be good as I'm enjoying running with a HRM and seeing my progress so anything that shows me that will be good. And I've heard the nike+ tells you your doing well.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've seen various other posts throughout the forum by people who have the Nike+ system, although I can't remember exactly where. :embarrassed:
If you have a dig around through all the old pages you will probably come across someone who may have had similar problems, or may be able to offer advice. Sorry I can't be more helpful, as I've only ever had experience of iPods on their own.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
arsenic1983 said:
lucky the sites changing it ......
I got it from startfitness.co.uk who seem to have had good reviews elsewhere on this forum. 'Tis a shame I have to send it back though as I have calibrated it in such away that it is almost 100% accurate which is unlike the gyms treadmill that is making me run quite a bit further than the ipod:mad:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
arsenic1983 said:
... And I've heard the nike+ tells you your doing well.
... Does it also tell you when you're having a bad run? No, seriously; I've often wondered if it will tell you to speed up or whatever, if you're not performing to previously recognised standards. :huh:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It'll tell you when you've ran a new fastest mile, or when you've completed your longest run... not really how well you're doing.

scr8pe said:
'Tis a shame I have to send it back though as I have calibrated it in such away that it is almost 100% accurate which is unlike the gyms treadmill that is making me run quite a bit further than the ipod
Without meaning to sound disrespectful scr8pe, I doubt very much that the Nike+ is more accurate than a treadmill, the chances are the Nike+ is giving you inaccurate distances. It's a glorified pedometer. Calibration consists of knowing roughly how long your stride is, it then multiplies the average stride length by the number of steps. Absolutely fine if your strides are always the same length!

I've owned a Nike+ & iPod and it just wasn't for me, I liked being able to see how far I'd ran, measure my best miles and longest runs etc, but once I'd done the same run 3/4 times with the nike+ measuring 3 different distances (a mile between the lowest and highest measurement) because I ran them at different paces (and therefore different stride lengths) I began to doubt it's ability a great deal! :huh:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richardsimkiss said:
It'll tell you when you've ran a new fastest mile, or when you've completed your longest run... not really how well you're doing.

Without meaning to sound disrespectful scr8pe, I doubt very much that the Nike+ is more accurate than a treadmill, the chances are the Nike+ is giving you inaccurate distances.
Point taken, though I have a measured mile and the ipod has proved to be accurate to within 10' on three occasions. Maybe just luck? But even if it isn't particularly scientific, I'll persevere with the ipod sport kit as it boosts my morale:cool:

Just a shame I have to send the damn thing back because of the low battery, why they can't make it with a changeable battery I don't know? ....or may be I do! :mad:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got Nike Equalon+ shoes. Does this mean that my shoes are compatible with this fancy gadgetry.. and, if so, where does it go? In the shoe itself?? Whereabouts?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Johnny T said:
I've got Nike Equalon+ shoes. Does this mean that my shoes are compatible with this fancy gadgetry.. and, if so, where does it go? In the shoe itself?? Whereabouts?
Sounds like it. Have a look under the inner sole of your left shoe, you should find the sponge 'pebble' that you can replace with the sensor (the bit causing me the problems!)

(Edit) Whoops, just noticed that pedestrian has already pointed this out............... I really must cut down on the Thursday night wine tasting sesions!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
scr8pe said:
Sounds like it. Have a look under the inner sole of your left shoe, you should find the sponge 'pebble' that you can replace with the sensor (the bit causing me the problems!)

(Edit) Whoops, just noticed that pedestrian has already pointed this out............... I really must cut down on the Thursday night wine tasting sesions!
Even though I have two pairs of the Nike+ shoes, I don't use them in conjunction with my iPod; so I wasn't able to be quite as accurate with my description as you were, scr8pe. I had no idea that it was the left shoe.

I usually do my wine-tasting on a Friday night...

... And Saturday...

... And... View attachment 65

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Success with accuracy does seem to be very varied, my brothers got the same kit and for him it works very well, just no the case for me! Though I just think it's down to my stride length changing with speed.

No need to worry anymore though, a Garmin Forerunner 305 solved all my problems :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richardsimkiss said:
Success with accuracy does seem to be very varied, my brothers got the same kit and for him it works very well, just no the case for me! Though I just think it's down to my stride length changing with speed.

No need to worry anymore though, a Garmin Forerunner 305 solved all my problems :)
Just a thought.... Is there a product on the market that combines the Garmin Forerunner 305 (or similar) with an Ipod?

Have I missed the obvious or have I spotted a potential winner?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd imagine it's all about commercial partnerships, atm there isn't one between Garmin and apple.

To be honest though I'd imagine the number people owning Garmins & iPods (and also using them at the same time) is relatively small. The Nike+ is so popular because there's loads of people with iPods who are interested in 'keep fit', and the extra £20 for a user friendly piece of 'technical wizardry' isn't a particularly expensive investement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
does it really annoy anyone else when you put in a distance to run, turn around at the alf way point and then run the same way back, but at thr end your somehow short a hundred meters?

or is this just me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TDT said:
does it really annoy anyone else when you put in a distance to run, turn around at the alf way point and then run the same way back, but at thr end your somehow short a hundred meters?

or is this just me.
It'll be down to your stride length which is bound to be shorter further into the run. Though mine proved to acurate to within 20yrds over 10 miles on Sunday :d

But todays 4 miles has failed to save on the ipod, I going to try and replicate a run on the ipod and see if I can upload a non run to the website, cheating I know, but it is frustrating when you've put the effort in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts