Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got one? Does it work? Is it comfy?

There seem to be a shortage of actual user reviews on the web. I love a gadget and whilst this won't improve my running I feel a need :) Plus I think it looks sexy and I have a thing for watches.

As I run on a treadmill currently a GPS watch would be rather pointless so I am hoping to find someone with actual experience. Someone who has the iPod version could review the features but as I have an iPhone I am notnlooking for another music machine which is why the sportsband could work nicely for me.

Tia Giles

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Heya.... I've not used one on the bands, but it looks like a nice cheap alternaive to a GPS, and many people with ipod nano's have stated they're pretty accurate (though my experience of them was certainly not a positive one!)

One thing I would point out though, is that when running on the treadmill, the unit's only going to give you the same information as the treadmill but less accurately! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello

I took delivery of a Sportband a couple of weeks ago.

Nice looking item, quite slim. Quite new on the market and think there have been some software bugs. One was released recently and seems to have fixed the run start timing problem. Not really sure how accurate it is but seems to suit me well. Run length seems to vary but not by much. I am using Asics shoes so I use a Marware pouch that fits around the laces. Might have a go at modding my shoe so I can insert it under the sole.

I know my distance so not really bothered on the varying lengths but it's good for keeping time and calories etc.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies folks, missed them earlier.

Richard, the second the treadmill stops the info disappears and I am that knackered I dont think to look. I like the idea of recording the training and creating a log.

At the end of the day it is a gadget and I love gadgets. Would get a GPS but it would not record much on the treadmill :d

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Heya.... I've not used one on the bands, but it looks like a nice cheap alternaive to a GPS, and many people with ipod nano's have stated they're pretty accurate (though my experience of them was certainly not a positive one!)

One thing I would point out though, is that when running on the treadmill, the unit's only going to give you the same information as the treadmill but less accurately! :rolleyes:
I used a nike+ sport kit until a few weeks ago when it gave up the ghost yet again. While I found it quite useful for recording distance and time. I found it was inconvenient at the start of each session to set it up.

Since then I've gone back to recording my time on a spreadsheet and measuring distance via mapmyrun. Having had the experience, I'm happy to stick with a watch and a laptop (obviously not the laptop while running, I find the screen difficult to read in daylight!)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scr8pe said:
(obviously not the laptop while running, I find the screen difficult to read in daylight!)
I dont have a laptop and cannot imagine carrying the Tower in a backpack and monitor + keyboard strapped to my wrists. Not to mention the 5K extension I would need :d

Sounds like I am better off carrying on logging it on my calender and then treating me to a GPS if I pluck up the courage to venture outside.

Cheers scr8pe for the insight

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Hrun

Am I correct in thinking that you only run inside?

Believe me there was no one more paranoid about running outside than me. Started running in the darkness and was really dreading the daylight when folk could see me. Now that I am happy running in the daylight I am now dreading the darkness again :eek:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. Treadmill only currently.

There are several reasons which include the fact that I need to lose another 3 stone to run comfortably, from my house there are hills in every direction and I know I will slow up and walk if it is to taxing where the treadmill forces me to keep a constant pace and lastly the rabbits can be out if I am at home meaning I train nearly every night instead of sitting watching tv.

Might venture out one day but this is working for me currently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hrun

Stick with what works for you. That's great.

I don't use a treadmill but have one of those small stepper things that I use if the weather is really bad outside. Half an hour watching Emmerdale on the stepper and I am knackered :embarrassed:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the support. Seems a lot of people see the treadmill as a neccessary evil. I have an elliptical trainer as well, now that is hard work

Giles

·
Registered
21 Posts
HI

I bought the nike+ sportband, and I am happy with it.. very simple to use, the data seems accurate to me (I compared the milage of the run with mapmyrun and the difference was irrelevant). To upload the data you only have to pop the watch on your USB port and it does that itself, when the upload is done it takes you to a webpage where you can see your stats with pretty colors.

There is also a web community on the site where you can create your own challenge. I created one called the Devil's race - where the winner is the first to complete 666 km; a few people from all over the world joined my challenge and you can see the progress of everyone. That's quite fun and another way to get motivated.

on the Negative side - I wish the watch had a button for the light, pretty dark digits on a black background - I wish the whole nike+ website wasn't made with Flash it's sometimes pretty long to load and the use of Flash was not necessary (sorry I am a web designer )

Overall I'll give it a 8 out of 10 not bad for 40 quids

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok - I bought the sportband over a month ago and I am now on my third one. The display of the first one died after 3 weeks and the display of the second one died after 3 days.

I bought it in a shop so it's easy enough to get it replaced. But I am glad I didn't buy it online for this reason. I still like the features but if I have this problem again with the third one. I will give up and ask for a refund.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I was thinking one of these things would have me pretty kitted out as I already use an HRM religiously. It might work out cheaper than a Garmin 405 overall - all I'd have to do is develop a sense of direction and I'd be there! :p

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh dear! :s far from ideal! I wonder if anyone else has suffered the same problem with their sporty-band?
I had a few probs with my Nike Amp (which is similar the Sportband), mine packed in. All the buttons were doing the job that other buttons should do, and that's when it worked, which it did not do often.

It's en route back to Nike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had my Nike+ Sportband for about 6 weeks and used it lots. Never had a problem with it although I do find it measures distances differently from time to time. Not sure just how accurate it is (I use a pouch on my Brooks shoes) but it is ok as a guide to what I am doing. Only problem I have had is not being able to get it to calibrate a run despite having done specific short runs for this purpose - presumably it thinks I am running too slowly to not be classed as walking!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts