Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to link my Nike+ stats either in my training blog or as part of my Profile/Signature.

As Nike are autodocumenting my runs it would make sense not to duplicate it manually here.

Hope it is possible

Giles

·
Registered
32 Posts
would be cool, if the both linked together...

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Below is the code you copy which allows you to embed the widget on your website aparently.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="198" height="182" id="Nike+ Profile" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/v1/swf/scrapablewidget/profile.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="FlashVars" value="id=1894056906&userDefaultUnit=mi&dateFormat=DD/MM/YY&region=emea&language=en&locale=en_gb"/><embed src="http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/v1/swf/scrapablewidget/profile.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="198" height="182" name="Nike+ Profile" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" FlashVars="id=1894056906&userDefaultUnit=mi&dateFormat=DD/MM/YY&region=emea&language=en&locale=en_gb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

This explains what widgets are

http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/#widgets

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's not something you can put into a signature at the moment and it's probably a bit too big to be suitable.
However it would be possible to put it on your training blog/as an alternative training blog.. perhaps on your profile.

It isn't right at the moment but it's a good future request. I'll look into the possibility.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Assuming there are no technical problems including the flash for the widget, I'll likely make an option to include the widget on your profile.
Even if there was a version small enough for signatures it wouldn't be fair on people with lower-speed connections to load it every time.. and I'm not sure Nike would appreciate hundreds of requests a day either.

It won't happen for a while (= weeks) since there's some other stuff planned for the board first (can't give any at the moment I'm afraid). But it's a good idea.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats brilliant cheers.

Nike probably do want requests and adding widgets is promoted on their site better than the user instructions. At the end of the day the widget creates discussion and links back to them - Free advertising.

Cant wait to see how you manage to integrate it. Now, it's Sunday, have the rest of the day off :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Is there any potential scope for the future to link to our training blog on the site? i.e. have our stats from this site on another? or would that cause too much traffic as you mentioned in the Nike+ situation?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Is there any potential scope for the future to link to our training blog on the site? i.e. have our stats from this site on another?
Yes but that's more an advanced feature. Would be a while before I had chance to code it.
Dan has no problem against it in principle, so yes.

or would that cause too much traffic as you mentioned in the Nike+ situation?
Only if you hosted it on a seriously busy site. Even then it'd be possible to limit the number of requests per day and cache data as needed. With our server it should be fine but would need keeping an eye on.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to keep bumping this, but when you do get a chance to look at this I think it is possible to grab the data from Nike rather than use their widget. There are a couple of sites that do this, such as slowgeek.com and runnerplus.

It would be great to view my data as part of my blog and not have to go the Nikes awful flash heavy website.

Please don't think I am nagging to get this.

Cheers Giles

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
No worries, I don't feel bugged.

I don't have nike+ stats so you'd need to look up the instructions on integrating it into a site. If you can paste an address where I don't need a login, or provide a login I'll have a look and see what's possible.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Slowgeek are using Nike+'s api. I'll have to see if I can find it, or get Dan to ask slowgeek how they're using it.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont you ever take time off?

If you get a chance I am happy, but only when you are bored. I on the other hand have plenty of soaps to ignore by searching google.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hrun said:
Dont you ever take time off?
I do. It just seems like I don't.

I don't work regular office hours, I work at unpredicted hours of the day. I might be on at any hour. So long as I get my weekly hours done Dan doesn't mind.
My sleep patterns are great fun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts