Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is my race for life, I haven't done any running in 5 weeks because my GP told me to lay off the running until my foot and ankle got better.

All was better a week or so ago but then ive had a nasty gum infection so been in agony, on antibiotics and not felt up to anything really.

Tomorrow I have a 5k race to do, its ok if I walk it but would it be ok you think to run as much as I can despite not doing training for so long? I don't want to injure myself again.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sorry to hear you`ve been having more problems Jing.

If your ankle feels ok,Then I would say run tomorrow.

It might be just the boost you need.

Just take it easy.

All the best with it.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's a tough call Jing... you could try and run it and find that you can manage it with no problems... on the other hand something could go twang :( If you've not done anything for 5 weeks then you may find you struggle anyway (depending on if you've been able to keep you fitness up with crosstraining, and what your mileage was prior to your layoff).

If you want to run it then I suggest you do so, though be aware there's a risk of getting injured again... Walking would be a safer option, though I can fully understand your desire to want to run as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I did mine after 6 weeks of no training. I ran as much as I could (which was about half of it as I just wasn't fit enough to do more) and I'm very glad I did.

On the downside, I then spent the best part of the next 2 weeks unable to walk without a lot of pain. My foot got better much more quickly than before, though, and it's back to a stage where I'm ready to start running again, albeit only a tiny bit at a time.

When I asked my doctor (a runner himself, so he understood where I was coming from), whether I could/should do it, he was understandably reluctant to commit, but when I summed up what I'd understood from him, he agreed. That was "it's only 5k, it's not likely to do any long lasting or permanent damage, but it might well do it no good at all short term and if I decide to do it, I should be prepared to take the consequences". He also said that if I really wanted to do it, I should.

In my case it was hard to judge how far to push things, as I knew that it probably wouldn't hurt while I was doing the race, but I'd find out a couple of days later what, if any, damage I'd done. If, in your case, you'll feel the pain while you're still running, then I'd say go ahead, take it easy, if it's feeling good and you want to, then push yourself a little bit harder, but don't overdo it. Remember that you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing if you walk more early on and still have enough left to run the last few hundred metres, than if you wear yourself out so much that you can only stagger to the end :rolleyes:

Really, though, it's a decision only you can take. It's your body, only you can know how it feels and how far you can push it. GPs will always err on the side of caution (I was frankly amazed that mine went as far as he did). If it's important to you to run as much as you can, then do it, but keep your sensible head on and slow down/stop if your body is protesting at you.

Good luck :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
good luck tomorrow and do what you can.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd run as much as I could but take it easy ....see it as a social event rather than a race and you'll enjoy it more.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts