Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about starting this topic after what happened to me today in training...
We can post here strange/unusual things that happen to us while running...

I start with a not too nice thing but hey... I thought it was weird enough to tell.

I was doing 3.000m reps on the track this morning and I was just behind two other runners.
With almost 2k gone I saw through the corner of my eye, 4 sparrows taking off from the infield grass towards us.
Then I saw 3 of them pass between me and the two guys in front while the 4th was out of sight once it got closer...
And then I felt a bump under my foot....
Yes... I stepped on the bird as it was flying...
It took me no more than 5 seconds to stop and run back... It was dead already...
It felt bad... :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Aw, that sounds awful. :( Still, it's not your fault and accidents do happen. Very bizarre though. Can't say I've heard of anything like that before. Hope you're still not feeling guilty.

A couple of weeks ago I was on one of my usual runs in the evening when I had a group of 'thugs' who thought it would be funny to try and run along with me! I just ignored them and they eventually started to give up and walk. I thought I'd done alright until I tripped up the kerb and fell over!!! Needless to say, I did not have the last laugh! Most embarrassing! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Don't worry Kylie you're not the only one to fall over I am very good at that, fortunately for me on both occassions it was dark, and one of them was literally yards from my house :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Don't worry Kylie you're not the only one to fall over I am very good at that :embarrassed:
Me too.........................:embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Me too.........................:embarrassed:
What happened? share the shame :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
twinkle toes said:
What happened? share the shame :embarrassed:
Too many to list................................:embarrassed:

But one did end up with a broken collar bone.

Such a misspent youth..........

Wouldn`t have missed it for the world..............:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I broke my collar bone playing non-stop rounders at school but so far (touch wood) not fallen over during running.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
I broke my collar bone playing non-stop rounders at school but so far (touch wood) not fallen over during running.

I hope you never experience it, it can be quite a shocking experience, takes your pride, dignity and breath away all at the same time :eek:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of years ago I was running on a hill race in Scotland.
Second on the way up and going well on the way down, my leg went with cramp and I had to lie down on the hillside for some very anguishing 7 minutes as runner after runner passed me and there was going my great race :confused:

Most hill races in Scotland (unlike the ones here in Portugal, for example) have no marked path. It's a matter of "getting up there and back" and you choose your own route.
Well... From my little piece of hillside I saw some something really weird happening. Despite having an open view of the finish some 500 metres below, all runners headed straight to the forest below without having a look at what was ahead - a mess of thick bushes and trees and only one small opening to go through.
The guy who was 7th at the top and was slowly trotting down the hill took a different route. He later told me that when he entered the Highland Games' track where the race finished he heard, to his huge surprise, the speaker shouting "And here comes the lead runner from the hill race!!!!"

Everyone else got lost in the forest :eek: and the runner who was MINUTES back at the top eventually won the race :p

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Not running, but out riding my bike on a 15 mile evening cross country type ride, I was riding along a treeline on the outskirts of the Sherwood Forest, or what is left of it, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye.

In the field to my left was a stag running along at the same pace as I was riding. I wasn't really sure if I should have stopped, gone faster or tried to turn away, when the Stag decided to run away from me towards a copse of trees down the hill.

It was a really odd, almost surreal moment, being in the middle of nature, with absolutley no signs of civilisation. It made me feel like a visitor to his back garden!

:)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went for a run in the park. Within 24 hours we got 30cm (1ft) of snow...
I was keeping my eyes down because of the wind blowing snow into them when I heard a strange sound getting closer and closer...
I looked up ahead and... coming towards me were two people on skis :d
That was a first for me!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Saw a deer on my run yesterday, that hasn't happened before.
On the same run, I ran past a man walking his dog. He had his back to me and I even coughed but when I passed him he jumped out of his skin, I said sorry of course. Why the dog didn't warn him I was there I don't know :lol:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, ha, could have gone a lot worse. Imagine if you had jinked left and been taken down!
There was not much space, that nearly happened :d

On the same run, I ran past a man walking his dog. He had his back to me and I even coughed but when I passed him he jumped out of his skin, I said sorry of course. Why the dog didn't warn him I was there I don't know :lol:
I know it's evil but... :embarrassed: unless they are frail looking people (and frail or not I always give plenty of coughing/dragging foot/grunting warning) I find those occurences kind of funny :amused:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
When I was training for my marathon, I used to do my long runs in the south downs. Very lovely, but also very exposed, open spaces. On one run I really needed a wee. I carried on for a mile or so but there was absolutely no shelter - not a twig or bush to hide behind. I looked as far as I could in all directions and couldn't see anyone, so I crouched down and got on with it. To my horror, I saw in the distance, the growing figure of another runner! He couldn't not have seen me! I set off quick sharp, in the hope that I could keep running ahead, but I'm such a slow coach, it was not long before he caught up and overtook me - THE SHAME! :embarrassed::lol:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Recently I was out for a long slow run, the sun wasn't quite up so it was still a little dark, the area I was running in was pretty isolated (a little path through fields) so i didn;t expect to see anyone. The path I was on has trees and hedges along, next thing i know two gun shots have gone off so loudly that I literally jumped and ducked at the same time, i was petrified. It turns out two guys were out shooting game birds, but for that split second i honestly thought someone had shot a gun at me, it was so loud.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Recently I was out for a long slow run, the sun wasn't quite up so it was still a little dark, the area I was running in was pretty isolated (a little path through fields) so i didn;t expect to see anyone. The path I was on has trees and hedges along, next thing i know two gun shots have gone off so loudly that I literally jumped and ducked at the same time, i was petrified. It turns out two guys were out shooting game birds, but for that split second i honestly thought someone had shot a gun at me, it was so loud.
Did they not see you or do you think they meant to scare you?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts