Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at the pub, and with a marathon next month, I've entered the "no-booze" period.

Problem is, I'm looking at the ingredients on these non alcoholic alternatives, and I'm pretty sure beer would actually be healthier (J2O for example).

What do others drink under these conditions? Would I legit be better off just moderating alcohol intake instead?

·
Registered
184 Posts
A few beers isn't going to do any harm imho. Just don't go on a massive drinking binge

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
A couple isn't going to effect you, just drink plenty of water afterwards and don't binge on nuts\crisps or a take away.

Personally I don't really drink so I'd have lime and soda

·
Registered
936 Posts
a nice reftreshing drink is orange juice diluted with water, sounds weird but much nicer and more natural than cordials or squash, and def more healthy than J20 etc, how about shandy?

·
2,698 Posts
I often give up for a month or so before big races. Alcohol affects your sleep and immune system and I find I do feel better being off it. Although I don't drink much anyway and have become a bit of a lightweight these days! It also helps when trying to get to race weight ;)

If I'm out I'll have soda water or tonic water (especially if they have a nice one like Fever Tree).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's the calories from alcohol at 7 per gram. And there's the fact that alcoholic drinks are not required to state their ingredients like other products. A thing in the paper IIRC said that cider, for example, contains sugar almost up to the recommended daily maximum from one pint! So I'd be careful about substituting either way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts