Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Telegraph, the NHS is witnessing a rise in phone calls due to flu and stomach bug epidemic. This is due to the fact that no epidemic has hit us in while and that our general immune system has weakened (not saying that you fellow runners have a weak immune system, I meant the others! lol). The Telegraph also posted a good article about how to boost our immune system (sorry but neither jogging nor booze was mentioned ;-) ). If you are interested have a look to the article called: "Norovirus: be prepared".

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Running probably wasn't mentioned because it can actually lower the immune system. I tend not to worry about these things. I never get ill (touch wood). I don't tend to get stomach bugs or flu and have never taken an antibiotic in my life.

·
Registered
159 Posts
JBBury said:
have never taken an antibiotic in my life.
You probably have but just don't realise it. Pig food is rammed full of antibiotics (along with pigs themselves forcing pigs to be canibals - but that's another matter) to keep them healthy while they are fattened up and that gets passed into the food chain. This is the reason that all the superbugs are so rife in hospitals because normal antibiotics have little effect on most humans as we've been eating them constantly all our lives.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Jason said:
You probably have but just don't realise it. Pig food is rammed full of antibiotics (along with pigs themselves forcing pigs to be canibals - but that's another matter)
Bacon Sandwich Please......................:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Pigs to be canibals eh !! - sounds like a title for a movie, after all, we've had pigs in space !! :d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking of what Jason said, the Time newspaper mentioned that according to the Health Secretary, over prescribing antibiotics can lead to the spread of hospitals Superbugs. Which tells me to go back to natural, Echanecea, black Elderberries, Vitamin C ...

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's rife Things like this just make me prefer to remain ignorant. There's nothing I can do about it so I'd rather just turn the telly off and have a nice cup of tea and a bacon sarnie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you Jason!
There is no win solution with those guys. You do this and its harmful, you do that and its unhealthy! Overall I still believe that bacon is less harmful to you than the pills they sell us. They should be used only occasionally.
Workout, eat healthy (with some bacon on the side) get your vitamins from mother nature and live your life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts