Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(( I have been having trouble with my left hip. It got really bad when I pushed myself quite hard one day. I got to the stage where I couldn't walk properly so I went to the Dr. He has reffered me for physio and told me not to run for 2 weeks!!

I went for an assesment with the physio and she said that when I felt it easing I could go for a run as long as I take it easy. My hip joint crunches when I walk and I get shooting pain down to my ankle and up to my sholderblade. I have been booked in for physio...............................................in October:evil:

I am starting to feel sorry for myself now. My head is cluttered and my body sluggish, I can't sleep properly and its generally getting me down.

I think I'll go out in a day or two and see how the land lies. I can't go on like this much longer.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thats bad news! Be careful you don't make things worse.

Are you doing other things to help your core fitness? When I wasn't running I swam and cycled. It helped keep me motivated. That and coming here.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If its affecting you that much - why not try to replace with something that isn't as stressful on the hips? Swimming or cycling would be the obvious choices because they would be little or no impact - but as I don't know the extent of your injury I can't tell if you are able to do those.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Thats bad news Taurus.

Cross training would be the way to go, as the others suggested. That way, you can keep your fitness levels up.

Hopefully, a few weeks rest from running might help your injury.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
swimming is excellent. However, try to avoid the breaststroke as this places strain on the hip and the ankles if the kick is done correctly. Maybe keeping your legs immobile with the use of a pull bouy would be beneficial and just swimming arms only.

Good luck

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, it's frustrating not being able to run when you really want to. I would echo what the others have said and try swimming and gentle cycling to keep your fitness and motivation going. I really hope it gets better for you soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I am still doing pilates. As much as I enjoy swimming I don't really have a lot of motivation where that's concerned. I will go out for some quiet jaunts just to keep my hand in.
I won't be pushing it though and will wait for October to come around so I can have physio.

I just wanted a bit of a moan really and as runners you understand the frustrations of not getting out there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
We have all been there and when your there it's shit! Lets not mince our words hear.:p
I've not ran for 2 weeks and I'm getting slightly peeved at not being able to run.

So if haveing a good old rant helps go ahead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its so rubbish, I totally agree littlered. I even stayed away from here for a couple of weeks so I would feel less aggrieved (silly moo). Never mind, all will be right with the world again soon enough. In the meantime I'm glad I can let off steam about it!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'll have to be very cautious with what I say here... and it by no means constitutes medical advice, just may be worth considering...

Dr's (well GP's at least) almost seem to have a knee-jerk reaction if a runner comes in with an overuse injury, that response is to stop running. I think they're forced into giving this advice, since if they suggested you keep running, and your condition didn't improve, or potentially got worse - they'd be in trouble.

Perhaps spend some time looking for advice on stretching/strengthening the area and try and keep that up until you see the physio or feel able to run gently again?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts