Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend about latest running related injury (shin problems followed by second bout of lower back pain) and she said to me "Have you ever thought you're just not cut out for this running lark?"...when I look back I think I have only managed 6-8 weeks at a time without sustaining some sort of injury.

I have
- had my gait anaylsed and am wearing proper shoes
- always warm up/cool down properly and stretch religiously (and even started yoga once a week too)
- increased mielage relatively slowly
- started following a run/walk prog since coming back from shin probs
- tried to run off road since coming back

But still, three weeks in, I am having to stop running cos of lower back pain :(

Where am I going wrong?!?! I really don't want to stop running, cos it's the only exercise that I have found that I really enjoy. Help! Is there something I am missing? :confused:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
There must be an answer to this GoSlow.

I know it must be driving you mad,and as a novice myself I can`t offer any real advice,other than don`t let it get you down to much.

I`m sure others will be able to give you more practical advice

All the best.

Dave..

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm no expert either, but I do think maybe there is something in that statement. I know someone who definitely isn't a runner, he's more of a cyclist. Not really through preference, but just physically his body didn't seem to be set up for running.

I find that I'm just not right for swimming. No matter how much I would love to do lengths of the pool, I'm just not cut out for it.

Saying that, you might just be going through a rough patch and when you get through it you'll be Forrest ;)

Hope you get better!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nat said:
I'm no expert either, but I do think maybe there is something in that statement. I know someone who definitely isn't a runner, he's more of a cyclist. Not really through preference, but just physically his body didn't seem to be set up for running.

I find that I'm just not right for swimming. No matter how much I would love to do lengths of the pool, I'm just not cut out for it.

Saying that, you might just be going through a rough patch and when you get through it you'll be Forrest ;)

Hope you get better!

An osteopath may help you or better still if you can afford it. Have some sessions of Alexander technique. It's an incredible programme of spine and skeletal aalignment. Be prepared to buy new trousers though as when we used it at drama school, the average height of the class increased by 2 inches.

Good luck Also the shin splints could be stress fractures, which in turn will cause you to shift your normal pronation or supination, which in turn will affect your spine. Blokes particularly are prone to trapped sciatic nerves

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Morning GS, just a thought but I've found my shins have really got much better sinceI have not been doing the 'warm up' stretches. Always do the warm down but they have definately improvedsince I've not stretched at the beginning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thats very interesting Granty. Do you do any sort of warm-up? I also suffer with shin problems but usually do just calf stretches (more so if my shins are hurting) before going out for a run.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I certainly don't have teh definitive answer, but it may be worth massively limiting your training - all of your injuries sound like overuse injuries rather than acute injuries, so perhaps your body is just struggling to adapt - try and take it a little slower (as frustrating as I can imagine it being) and also work on some core strengthening exercises... that's about as much help as I can be at the moment I'm afraid!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not any more, I tried with various warm up exercises but none of them seemed to work for me, I now just start of very slow and gradually build up from there and use the first mile as a warm up. The benefit I got from this approach was great, everyone's different but if you've tried everything else then ity might be worth a go.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies guys. Alexander technique sounds interesting, will have to look into that.

Granty - I never have done warmup stretches - I just start off with walking for five mins to warm up and do stretches at the end.

Richard - not sure if I can go any slower :embarrassed: , so not sure if that is the problem...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi GoSlow

Have you thought about changing your running technique?. I've no idea what it involves - but a friend of a friend who I met recently swears by Chi running. After months of constant injuries he bought a book on it and has been relatively injury free ever since.
I think it's been mentioned on the Forum before (possibly Trinity??)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Slowsteve said:
Hi GoSlow

Have you thought about changing your running technique?. I've no idea what it involves - but a friend of a friend who I met recently swears by Chi running. After months of constant injuries he bought a book on it and has been relatively injury free ever since.
I think it's been mentioned on the Forum before (possibly Trinity??)

Yep it works not only for running but a whole range of physical activity. Recently changed my bike saddle....God alone knows why and used it to help there with a sore derriere...hey a rhyme!.

In many ways it's a similar sort of "mind over matter" ( loose explanation..very complicated really) technique to Alexander. It's based around that line that we all have ( trace it from the centre of your forehead, down your face- sternum, stomach, undercarriage and then you can definitely notice it there very clearly as your spine. This is the chi line. Shiatsu massage practitioners and tai chi practitioners are aware of it. It's supposed to be the line at which the original single cell, split, to start becoming you.

It can be used to focus on in pain relief etc. Any blokes may be interested in the concept of The Multi orgasmic man, which is also a chi based Taoist construct.

Saying a lot, today aren't I?. Thought I'd share a bit of the calmer me before I clear off and like I said when I first got here, I'm not without experience. I hope this helps, but I really would recommend Alexander technique, not just for you but anyone with skeletal probs.
Bear

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sorry, I put myself across very well, I didn't mean to physically run slower - I meant limit the mileage you are doing to allow the body to adapt and strengthen without becoming overworked?

I've never read about Chi running, but from what little tit-bits I've heard, it sounds like it promotes the basic functions of an efficient running technique - which I'm all for!

·
Registered
52 Posts
brumbear said:
Saying a lot, today aren't I?. Thought I'd share a bit of the calmer me before I clear off and like I said when I first got here, I'm not without experience. I hope this helps, but I really would recommend Alexander technique, not just for you but anyone with skeletal probs.
Bear
Surely there's no resaon for you to "clear off" I for one would welcome your perspective in many ways!;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi GS

I hope you find a solution in the advice you have been given, stick at it hopefully you will get past it, you can't stop running now you have been doing so well :d

Keep us posted on any updates.

TT

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
GoSlow said:
I was talking to a friend about latest running related injury (shin problems followed by second bout of lower back pain) and she said to me "Have you ever thought you're just not cut out for this running lark?"...when I look back I think I have only managed 6-8 weeks at a time without sustaining some sort of injury.

I have
- had my gait anaylsed and am wearing proper shoes
- always warm up/cool down properly and stretch religiously (and even started yoga once a week too)
- increased mielage relatively slowly
- started following a run/walk prog since coming back from shin probs
- tried to run off road since coming back

But still, three weeks in, I am having to stop running cos of lower back pain :(

Where am I going wrong?!?! I really don't want to stop running, cos it's the only exercise that I have found that I really enjoy. Help! Is there something I am missing? :confused:
I definately know how you feel, even though i have not been injured anywhere, i do now and have been suffering with bad migraines (everyday) which has affected my running.

Its very hard work for me to run now and a race last night i even said i am going to give this up.

The headaches seems to drain my energy, my legs are up to it just something is stopping me, the energy is not there.

Any tips would be great for me also.

I admit that everyone is not cut out for running but i come long way i certainly am not giving up now without a fight.

I have already been pescribed three different treatments, recent one now is beta blockers, which dont seem to work.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That sounds awful Leece, I don't blame for not giving up, I didn't and I am getting back to running slowly but surely, hopefully you will work things out too.

TT

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My club are very supportive and see that i am unwell .. normally i am happy cheery on races but last night was pure agony for me...

So getting back on form is my next task.

How i do that i have no idea but i will try anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
LEECE said:
I definately know how you feel, even though i have not been injured anywhere, i do now and have been suffering with bad migraines (everyday) which has affected my running.

Its very hard work for me to run now and a race last night i even said i am going to give this up.

The headaches seems to drain my energy, my legs are up to it just something is stopping me, the energy is not there.

Any tips would be great for me also.

I admit that everyone is not cut out for running but i come long way i certainly am not giving up now without a fight.

I have already been pescribed three different treatments, recent one now is beta blockers, which dont seem to work.

I hope you don't mind my offering a few thoughts. I've been very interested in this thread during the day.

1 Alexander wouldn't do you any harm either it may well alter your conscious thoughts as to your posture when running.

2 I presume that as you say you are a regular migraine sufferer that you have kept a food diary to examine whether anything there is triggering it. It may sound bizarre, but my partner can eat any other citrus fruit, but oranges. Show her an orange and it's dark room and ice cold compress time.

3 Consider that a combination of foods/drinks and endorphin release may be too much for you something needs to go. Really look at foods and drink. Red wine is a common trigger I suspect you know.

4 At the risk of being insensitive you may like to check out whether the symptoms are more pronounced on or around your "cycle"

5 Whatever you look at, here's a radical solution. Find a small ball bearing ( about 1/8th inch) tape this onto the inner sole of you shoes so that it makes contact just to the centre/rear of the ball of your left foot if you are right handed or vice versa if you are left handed....A wee bit like shiatsu as you run. My partner has used this for her migraines, I stress though, that the ball bearing is kept small and is taped to the insock rather than your foot, as the ball of your feet needs to move around on it to replicate finger massage.

Hope this helps
Bear

1 - 20 of 49 Posts