Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a few trainers that you shouldn't eat before running/jogging as this slows down the fat burning process as you have to burn off what you've just eaten first, is this true? It definately seems to be correct but I just thought i'd check first before I just go into the gym on a few pints of water. :)

Nice clean forum by the way. :cool:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hiya Mr2nut,

Depends on who you are, some people like to eat before a run whilst others do not, trial and error I think. I tend to eat a couple of bananas before I go - seems to do the trick for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granty said:
Hiya Mr2nut,

Depends on who you are, some people like to eat before a run whilst others do not, trial and error I think. I tend to eat a couple of bananas before I go - seems to do the trick for me.
I suppose it makes sense that the fat burning process will begin a lot quicker if your on an empty stomach. I will try eating a few bananas like you said as these are just pure energy and hardly fill you up.

I'm toned all over apart from my bouncing beer belly so just trying to get it off really. :d Just signed up to Greens gym and want to get the most out of my running.

I've also had advice that rowing is even better to tackle lower stomach fat than running?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
mr2nut said:
I'm toned all over apart from my bouncing beer belly so just trying to get it off really. :d Just signed up to Greens gym and want to get the most out of my running.

I've also had advice that rowing is even better to tackle lower stomach fat than running?
I have always found that swimming seemed to give the stomach a good work out for me, never enjoyed rowing, don't know why!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum

I am the same as Granty, if I feel hungry will have a banana about an hour before I run. :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If I eat anything 2 hrs before a run I tend to get a stitch. An alternative to the banana is a piece of toast with honey.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
If I eat anything 2 hrs before a run I tend to get a stitch. An alternative to the banana is a piece of toast with honey.
Stitches are really hit and miss with me, I can have gone for a hours without eating and get one, sometimes I have eaten 1/2 before I go out and don't get anything, weird.

But they are the most painful pesky things, they can last up to 2 - 3 miles...

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
On week night runs, I have usually have a very small meal before about 45-60 mins before I run. If I don't I'll end up running slower or feeling light headed at some point.

On longer weekend runs, I have a bowl of cereal about an hour before running - although it might be longer if I have to travel to a race.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
An hour before last Sunday's 7 mile race I had a couple of jam sandwiches, made with wholemeal bread, and half a bottle of home-made elderflower cordial. It did the trick. I flew round! I can't run on empty. I'm one of those people who needs to snack at regular intervals.
Once, after a long run in the Highlands (the Great Lochaber Traverse) when I didn't get enough food down me, I totally ran out of steam on the way back to where we'd camped. It took two bars of chocolate and a packet of glucose tablets to get me the last half mile to my tent!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i cant eat personally. It just weighs me down.

yet when i come back i am starving which is dangerous because if i wasnt rubbish at temptation i would just stuff my face with any unhealthy food i can find to fill myself up :) :d

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did learn about this at one time but have forgotten most of it now. I think the norm for the body is to digest food and store any excess as glycogen (pasta party). Then when you exercise, it takes it from the stores. However you can train your body to convert what is in your stomach into fuel to be used there and then, but this takes time. Riders on the Tour De France could not possibly keep stored what they need to complete day after day after day of racing so they have to train their bodies to be able to eat while exercising and to convert what is in the stomach into fuel. Hence scoffing bananas, suet and even blocks of lard as they go.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I can't run on empty, I always need to have eaten something first. Whether I'm converting it to energy a la Tour de France cyclist blokey, or converting it to lard, is open to debate:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts