Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

My first post on the forums although I must admit I found the site some time ago and have used the posts for advice, reviews and looking at people's general opinions before. I sometimes feel I can contribute some experience, but until now have been too lazy to get registered!!

I'm far from a new runner, in fact I first started running reasonably seriously back in 1985 or 86, initially as some training for squash and BMX racing. The running took over and over about 3 years I competed in road races in the North West: my best performance being a 1.28 half marathon. Since then I have always done some level of running and / or cycling either just for pleasure or as training for other sports.

Two years ago I decided to take running a little more seriously again to boost my fitness for rugby (league) coaching, and again the running bug has bitten. Over the past two years I've done at least a dozen races between 5K and half marathon (the majority being trail or mixed terrain races including two of last year's lakeland trails series: Hawkshead & Garburn).

I love running. Both training and racing. My main goals for the next few years are to lose some weight, improve my pace and finally complete a marathon (which I've been promising myself I'll do for over 20 years now!). However this may be something of an uphill battle as I'm a husband and father to an 11 and 3 year-old, I run the family engineering business and coach an under 11's rugby league team playing competitive fixtures in the North-West Counties League. As you can imagine, training schedules are never set in stone.....

Anyhow, that's more than enough about me.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dr S! Sounds like you have a pretty hectic lifestyle, though I'm sure you'll be able to find at least a few slots a week to put in some decent hard workouts to help you improve :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Richard, thanks for the encouragement. I've tended to find it's a case of trying to keep the training going mostly and then put in some extra miles as I approach events. Worked quite well last summer. I've not got so many races planned this year: partly due to my wife's weekend work commitments and I've generally been getting by with 3 runs per week. I do get some cross training on top, joining in fitness sessions with my Jr. rugby squad twice a week, which definitely helps. I get more time through the summer (may to sept) as there are no rugby matches.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
3 times a week should be enough to help you progress steadily, the key is just making the sessions count! Sticking to tempo/hill/interval/fartlek sessions and a long run each week should help you improve. Push yourself on each run and your improve quicker than just making sure you get out the door 3 times a week.

It's rare that I manage to run more than 3 times a week myself now (though like you, I do mange other fitness sessions/cross training).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Dr S, and Hi Richard :)

I am also new to this forum and looking excited to talk to other runners who enjoy it!

I have run in a few 5ks/10ks and done a couple of half marathons, but I would still consider myself a beginner when it comes to techniques etc...

Looking forward to talking to you all :)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Alright Dr S and Kaz. Good to have you aboard.

B

·
0 Posts
Most well come all new members on this forum .
I join this forum recently for the purpose of share and get knowledge which is my favorite .
Nice forum and i am glad on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts