Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been pondering the latest hot topic numbness in the foot or feet

just a quick question to those of you who suffer with this is. I 'm curious to know whether or not you all run in the same brand of trainers ?

the same model?

Have you all got the same gait ?

etc etc it would be interesting to find out so if any of you would like to divulge this info it
may draw us closer to finding a common cause altough i have to say i doubt it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My right foot goes numb, it does my head in:( . I've used Nike, Reobok and last night a new pair of Addidas, which they were worse in. My trainers are not small as I'm only a 2 and have to buy size 3.

I've got a feeling it's the way I land, so tomorrow when I run I'm going to concentrate on landing on that foot, to see if that helps.:confused:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have had different brands trainer and I don't think my gait has changed as I am still buying similar types of shoe. I have had a gait done once a year for the last 3 years.

A bit of an unknown anomaly I think.... :huh:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The numbness is usually caused by constant pressure on the nerves... I get a numbness on the outside of my right foot's big toe... which is apparently caused by pressure on the edge of the ball of my right foot.

Only thing I can think of is that people have shoes a little too tight (either by size or they're being tied too tight?). There may be another answer but that's the one that seems most obvious to me.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Wish my feet were bigger as it can't help having size 2, I wear a 3 so I've plenty room. I'm just going to nip out and buy some insteps, bet I end up cutting them down tho:confused:

Out running tonight and God help me if it goes as bad as it did on Tuesday, couldn't feel my leg by the time I got home:eek:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The numbness may actually be caused by running in shoes that are a size too big. Your foot may be sliding around slightly, causing friction>over-heating>numbness.
I've actually had this problem a couple of times over the years, but only with certain shoes. The only explanation I could ever come up with was that theses particular shoes were too soft in the forefoot... Even though they were very comfortable. Don't know if this was the cause, but couldn't find any other reason.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I went to JJB where I had bought my trainers from and the shop assistant had a look at the way I walked, lol he even got down on the floor to look at my feet (must have looked a bit weird as I was in skirt and boots). Anyway he told me I walked slightly inwards and that I needed an arch support.

So I bought these gel sole supports, tried them tonight and ran 5 miles and my foot didn't go numb at all :d

He was so damm sure of himself, but he was right, I could kiss him:)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dimple said:
I went to JJB where I had bought my trainers from and the shop assistant had a look at the way I walked, lol he even got down on the floor to look at my feet (must have looked a bit weird as I was in skirt and boots). Anyway he told me I walked slightly inwards and that I needed an arch support.

So I bought these gel sole supports, tried them tonight and ran 5 miles and my foot didn't go numb at all :d

He was so damm sure of himself, but he was right, I could kiss him:)
fair play to the lad at least he bothered to try the skirt and the boots may have helped to motivate him though. Hardly a scientific evaluation of your gait cycle but if it works for you then thats cool Dimple

1 - 8 of 8 Posts