Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone suffer with this, I get it after I have been running for around 30mins feet and toes go numb.

My running shoes are Nike Air so would hope they are good enough.

I am a fairly flat foot runner so maybe thats it, anything I can do?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I get this occasionally - I would suggest making sure you haven't tied you shoe laces too tightly.

Also, did you get your gait analysed when you bought your trainers?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some runners suggest getting half a size bigger shoes, as feet can swell when running.

Also, some fabrics can shrink when washed.

Maybe time to get back to a good running store....?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Streako said:
Some runners suggest getting half a size bigger shoes, as feet can swell when running.

Also, some fabrics can shrink when washed.

Maybe time to get back to a good running store....?
a full size is better especially if you run for longer distances also try the shoe on in the afternoon your feet will have swollen quite a bit by then through the natural forces of gravity

Could be you need a little bit of extra cushioning in the shoe as well and it's correct about the laces being overtight that can cause numbness!

take it easy

Cheriton

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corr its complicated isn't it!! I only wanna be fit and thin.......lol

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
BubblyDebz said:
Corr its complicated isn't it!! I only wanna be fit and thin.......lol
View attachment 353
Unfortunately that's what happens when you ask for advice on a forum such as this; you're always going to get so many different bits of info (some which is conflicting) that it can be confusing as to what you take from them.
I've been a runner for most of my life (from being 7 or 8), and it has always seemed to be such a simple and natural thing to do. But since joining this forum I've been unable to get over the way that every aspect of this "simple" activity gets taken apart and analysed to such a degree that it becomes complicated and unrecognizable as the activity I've always taken it to be.:(

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, I've had the numb feet thing a few times over the years. Often with really comfortable shoes too. Never found the reason for this: just seems that certain shoes have had this effect.
Good luck with the running... and with sorting through all of the advice you get!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
View attachment 353
Unfortunately that's what happens when you ask for advice on a forum such as this; you're always going to get so many different bits of info (some which is conflicting) that it can be confusing as to what you take from them.
I've been a runner for most of my life (from being 7 or 8), and it has always seemed to be such a simple and natural thing to do. But since joining this forum I've been unable to get over the way that every aspect of this "simple" activity gets taken apart and analysed to such a degree that it becomes complicated and unrecognizable as the activity I've always taken it to be.:(

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, I've had the numb feet thing a few times over the years. Often with really comfortable shoes too. Never found the reason for this: just seems that certain shoes have had this effect.
Good luck with the running... and with sorting through all of the advice you get!
As with all the advice you recieve on here debz it's is generally based on personal experiemce and on what has worked for the individual concerned pedestrian is right in the fact that running is a simple thging and like a lot of stuff can be overcomplicated.

However it takes all sorts to make a world and this is what makes life interesting .It would be interminably dull if we all had the same opinion in fact we might as well become sheep !

So it basically boils down to the fact that everyones experience of a problem in this case running related doesn't mean that it's right or based on any professsional qualification it's simply what worked for them

You can choose to try the advice or not

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I too get numb toes from time to time, but it passes and it is something that I have never really worried about, it hasn't mattered what trainers I have had either, so I suppose it is just me :eek:

Welcome to RF by the way :d

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just jesting (I do that alot :d )

I am off to the gym now, and have tied my laces loser will let you know if that helps.

I am off to the states in a couple of weeks so might try and get some running shoes fitted while out there as should be cheaper if not will get myself fitted here on return.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did my first ever 7 miler today and after about 5 and a half miles i got something similar. My right foot had quite a lot of "pins and needles", i wonder if that too could be because i tied my laces up too tight but it could also be caused be a general poor circulation problem maybe, a lack of blood to the foot will mean your nerves can't feed information back to the brain properly and so it seems like your foot isn't entirely there! lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did 5km at the gym on the treadmill, tied my laces loser, still same thing. Trainer shopping for me soon then!! ;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This is my first post. Ive been running on and off for a few years. This time me and my running partner are now up to 5 miles. But my right foot goes numb. I carry on running but it feels really weird, it comes on after about 2.5miles. I've always had this and been through about 5 pairs of trainers.

It ain't half doin my head in. I will not let it beat me, am going to get some insteps tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Numb toes ... Moreton's Neuroma

I don't think 'obvious' answers are likely to be the answer at all.
Tight laces and too-small shoes are unlikely to be the root cause.

The consultant at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, diagnosed a Moreton's Neuroma - a compressed nerve restricting blood supply to, initially, the big toe and then the two adjacent toes and finally the sole. At this point, pressure is unbearable and ten minutes rest can allow anoter mile or so of running. At least, I've found so.

My training, with stops, is now around 5/6 miles in place of double that amount previously.
The problem has been with me for over two years. I can race a 5k but 5 miles leaves me praying hard.

I've tried every orthotic, cushioning system, arch support and metatarsal system. I run in a wide variety of shoes and manufacturers. Nothing has helped. No shoe has proven better or worse that another.

If your pain is as severe as I the pain I experience then I'd put my money on the trapped nerve leading to the area by the big toe. I have no idea how to deal with this other than by an operation. The operation has a 50% chance of success - and a 50% chance of failure and a probable end to running. I'm 65, have been running competitively for 54 years, and do not wish to gamble on such poor odds of success.

If anyone comes up with a better answer than I will lay untold riches at their feet!

Terry Braverman
Cambridge
[email protected]

View attachment 353

·
Registered
147 Posts
I get this alot when I wear flat shoes. Dress shoes if your interested. I have found that if you replace the insole with a thicker more squishy one it helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts