Runners Forum banner

Number 3

5K views 59 replies 12 participants last post by  Fulmar 
#1 ·
Did my second marathon about 5 months ago. My first 1 year and 1 day ago :p
As I guess enough time has passed to allow me to forget how much pain is involved, I am now training for my third.
It will be in Lisbon on the 2nd of December.

3h36m33s in the first
3h03m43s in the second
2h59m59s is the goal now (as it was twice before haha :d )

Lets see if this time I make it.
Training is going well apart from a week lost to a biiiig cold. But 2h16m on Sunday, finishing fast, looked very promising.

Anyone coming over for that marathon?

#53 ·
After the recent FLM ballot, I've decided I'll be hoping to race it in 2009 (through ballot, club or charity...) and have also decided that I'm going to try and follow some of the guys in training who are running it in 2008. My theory being that it'll not only help me to prepare better for 2009 but also make my half marathon entries in 2008 seem much easier! :d

#54 ·
Well done with that decision Richard :)
Finishing a Marathon (and training for it) changed me as a runner. And to some extent as a person as well...

LazyJones - If you can't make London, any idea where you will run?

Granty - 5h for you, 3h for me and in a few years maybe 2h for Bekele :) And it shouldn't be any easier for any of us.
One thing that the professionals don't have to deal with and we do, is the enormous amount of time needed to finish.
I read a book on marathon training by Richard Nerurkar (it was actually this book that made me decide to run my first one when I did. It would be great if you could read it and it has good training plans too) in which he mentioned training "psychologicaly".
He would go on very long runs, slow, easy ones, just to be on the road that long and get used to it.
Aiming for a time just under 5 hours you will be a long time out there.
And even though your body may be well trained you have to make sure that your mind is prepared to endure such a long time on the run.
Especially in the last few miles when the body wants to take control and stop you from doing that silly thing - running 26.2 miles :p
My advice would be to get at least 3 or 4 long runs - over 3 hours. VERY EASY!!!! but still, being out there.
Apart from that, regular, long mileage weeks and a few fartleks where you will be running faster than your goal speed.
Let me know how you get on.

#55 ·
Fulmar, I may do the Shakespear Marathon at the end of April if I can't get my charity place at London or I may find an alternative in Europe if not. I will definitely do one April/May.

Richard, training for a marathon will have a massive positive effect on all your other race times from what I've heard from other people, I'm really looking forward to running my next half in March of the back of marathon training.

#58 ·
LazyJones said:
Granty, good luck with your prep too, I'd echo Fulmar - if you manage to get a few long-long runs under your belt before London you will storm it!
The long runs are in the plan so hopefully I'll be OK, I think 'Storm it' may be a tad strong :p but you never know. I'm also really hoping that it will improve my 1/2M time in March so fingers crossed.

I'm actually pleased to report I did buy those new trainers from the running shop yesterday and last night I actually ran without any pain from blisters.!! :d :d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.