Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Garmin 101 arrived in the post today, and I just noticed that on the back of it, there's a sticker with its patents listed on it, but also a rather odd health warning too:

"WARNING: This product, its packaging and its components contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm. This notice is being provided in accordance with California's Proposition 65."

Any idea what this could be about?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Never heard of that before...

ahhh the Americans... they do worry so, bless em :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
They don't worry so much as have to cover themselves against being sued.

Winnebago have a statement in the manual warning you not to leave it unattended when the cruise control is on. This is after a bloke set the cruise and went to make a cup of tea. After the ensuing crash he sued successfully claiming they did not tell him he could not do that :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ive recently had a letter from the company I get my instructors insurance from telling me I should up my insurance to £10m cover rather than £3m, the reason, someone in the USA has successfully claimed against an outdoor sports instructor £9.5m! The instructor was only covered for £5m so he was a bit screwed.
Just shows you though, even the UK insurers are starting to cover themselves because we are now going for the "Sue first, ask questions later" attitude.

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My Garmin 101 arrived in the post today, and I just noticed that on the back of it, there's a sticker with its patents listed on it, but also a rather odd health warning too:

"WARNING: This product, its packaging and its components contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm. This notice is being provided in accordance with California's Proposition 65."

Any idea what this could be about?
Ah, another 101 owner - we should start a 101 club thread :cool:

I suspect the 101 probably has a little internal battery which keeps the data stored when you change the bigger batteries, and that battery probably contains cadmium. Although pretty much every electronic device going must contain one of these chemicals!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
okay... so if you wear your Garmin for 70years straight, there's a 1 in 100,000 chance of you developing cancer... yet in california that's still classed as a risk :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts