Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in order to keep myself motivated, I have entered a couple more 10ks. These are Muscular Dystrophy 10k at Holkham Hall in August, and a Cancer Research 10k in September on the Sandringham Estate.

Only problem is, these are both on tracks/trails and I have never really done much off-road running. I am a complete townie - sample training run, round the industrial estate at 7am on a Sunday! As all my running is done either early morning or late evening (to fit in with the children) I just wouldnt really feel safe going out to the woods for a run. Is there any way anyone can recommend I ready myself for this sort of terrain other than actually running on it?! eg any strength training or specific exercises that would help? Or have I got to persuade hubby and kids that they really do want to spend every Sunday morning biking round the woods after me?

Any advice appreciated, as ever! :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Have you got a kids playing field or park near you? The kids could play while you run round the field.

I'm like you though... never been into off road. This year, while I'm trying to get my injury fixed I'm running a series of short races, and some of them are off road. I ran my first one a couple of months ago during one of the wettest weekends...and surprisingly I quite enjoyed it. I think because I'd mentally prepared myself for it and the fact that it was a very muddy and slippery 7 mile course, the object of the game was staying upright and getting to the finish line.... eventually :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the off road stuff. It stops you becoming a slave to the mile marker and the watch. You can just enjoy yourself. Well, unless a marshall sends you the wrong way, which happened last weekend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
runnerman1971 said:
Well, unless a marshall sends you the wrong way, which happened last weekend.
Ooh no, don't tell me that! I have a hopeless sense of direction and quite easily get lost in the woods without anyone else's help :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Some hill reps will give you strength to face the ups and downs of the course.
Taking the family on their bikes on Sunday mornings sounds like a very good idea too :) And they will get more interest in what you are doing (my guess)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hills sound like a good idea, though given the landscape where I live (ie flat as a proverbial pancake), these are going to have to be done on the treadie.

Working on the family bike ride/run theme...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm the opposite ive only trained on tracks and trails so when i did my first race earlier this month i had to run on some roads and it was a real shock to my legs i can tell you. So i've told myself that i have to do some road training, probably go early morning so no one sees me. I'm weird like that i get really embarrassed if anyone i know sees me.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stotty,
Its ok to run off road as it reduces the risk of injury - I'm always beeing told to run off road by the podiatrist, physio type people etc. Running off road is supposed to be better for strengthening as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I much prefer it to the roads and its nicer scenery too. I will try and do a bit of both from now on if i get up early enough i'll go for a few laps around where i live but the weekends are definately for the countryside i love it, its beautiful.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the safety aspect? Do you always run with someone else when you are on trails etc? There are woods near where I work where I would love to go for a lunchtime run but not sure if it would be a good idea on my own?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The tracks i go on are around the reservoirs near where i live i never go any earlier than 8am on weekends and i go at 6.30 pm on a night. The mornings are a bit of a worry sometimes but there are usually a good few runners and cyclists about and i always tell my partner when i leave so he knows what time to expect me back. I know its not ideal but i really wouldnt enjoy running as much if i had to run on the roads all the time thats why i really should join some sort of club or group i suppose.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I live in a great place to run, i run down some stoney lanes that come out to the sea wall, looking over at mersea island, then come up to the beach huts and sailing club, its nice to run so close to the water

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love off road work....it's a lot tougher than pounding the streets and very often it's the terrain that dictates your pace.....much more intersting than road work

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hi 4minutemiler,
Tha was was my experieince of proper off road running whilst I was recently o holiday in Scotland and I also got a bit lost - had to retrace my steps. Absolutely stunning countryside though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Steady,
There's no comparison for me.....i find road running monotinous,,dont get me wrong, it serves a purpose but there's so much more pleasure to be gained from off road...especially in woodland....the only downside is that (where i run) you have to constantly look at the floor to avoid roots/rocks/ruts etc. which do you prefer, twisted ankle or shin splint?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi do you find that when you run on the roads you hurt more than when you do off road? Thats definatley been my experience not sure why i would of thought it'd be the other way round.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stotty I think that is quite normal and thats why many physios recommend off road running. Concrete pavements has a hight impact on your joints and copupled with the repetitive action of running can increase the risk of injury. With off road running the ground is more uneven so your feet move around mre but generelly this can strengthen your ankles.....unles you have a problem in this area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts