Runners Forum banner

Oh deary me! Im falling to bits!

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  joeslifeyork 
#1 ·
Ah well, i guess it had to happen. After training as i have been, and not suffering any serious set back, i got lulled into a false sense of security. Ontop of my usual training routine, 3 weeks ago i added rock climbing back into the mix after a 4 year lay off.

Well.. my current injury list stands at:

1. Strained Calf (i presume - this is the longest injury and has been discussed elsewhere).
  2. A stinging/aching pain right at the very top of my thighs (both legs!)... not sure what muscle group its called, but its there... hurts even when im sat down.
  3. A very achy top upper body (normal climbing aches - nothing special there).
  4. An exceptionally sore right bicep, shooting pain, inability to grasp anything too tightly or use it for serious effort work. Feels like trapped nerve.
  5. 2 large blisters (burst) on my right hand's fingers'. One of them on the natural crease of the skin, so every movement feels like someones cutting my finger off.
  6. Sore lower back, everytime i twist, bend, or generally move it it hurts.

I've had a hot bath, used some deep heat on my calf (that was the worst yesterday - now its the upper thighs).

Just wondered if there was any advice from the pro's out there.... i have a sneeking suspicion this amature here has over cooked it too soon. OUCH!!!:embarrassed: :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like your hip flexors (top of thighs) are a bit tight - been trying to get your leg over your head??? You need to do some hip flexors stretches, abductor stretches and also do one for your piriformis/TFL.

With your back I suggest a hot water bottle but try and keep it as mobile as possible and when its less painful try some spinal twists. If pain continues maybe see a chiropractor.

Maybe also consider a massage as well. Just sounds like you've used muscles that haven't been used in a while (well hopefully)

#3 ·
Steady Edwina said:
Sounds like your hip flexors (top of thighs) are a bit tight - been trying to get your leg over your head??? You need to do some hip flexors stretches, abductor stretches and also do one for your piriformis/TFL.

With your back I suggest a hot water bottle but try and keep it as mobile as possible and when its less painful try some spinal twists. If pain continues maybe see a chiropractor.

Maybe also consider a massage as well. Just sounds like you've used muscles that haven't been used in a while (well hopefully)
Think that was the case... after 3 weeks of lay off its finally gone away. Going for a gentle jog tonight to get back into it... then start the training for FLM in earnest.

Cant wait to start running proper again, its been a long three weeks. Now i really feel sorry for folk who have serious injuries which require months of rest...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.