Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh - I now have shin splints on my right leg,
gonna lay off running and use the X-Trainer to keep my fitness up - anyone know how long they usually take to heal ? Im thinking 2 weeks maybe ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I had shin splints, I rested for 3/4 days and then used an elastic stocking on the shin (compression) and that worked for me. Also someone gave me the advice to shorten my stride, or in a better way try to run without making a sound. This helped me a great deal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My first reaction would be that it is uncommon to get shin splints in just one leg - it's usually both. Pain in the shin of one leg is one of the indications of a stress fracture.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first reaction would be that it is uncommon to get shin splints in just one leg - it's usually both. Pain in the shin of one leg is one of the indications of a stress fracture.:(
I was reading earlier its quite comon and normally in the dominant leg (which mine is)
Caring Medical - Symptoms - Shin Splints

I'll look into the elastic stocking, cheers littlered :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Remember to ice it as well, I didn't but it may help with the swelling and ease the pain a little.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Having suffered with a couple of stress fractures myself and having seen a sports injury at the local clinic, before an MRI was even carried out, he thought I had a stress for two reasons; the pain seemed to be localised to one shin and I couldn't hop on said leg.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
*also puts hand up*

I had shin splints occur in one leg too, though it did mildly occur in the other leg... mine was a combination of mildly overtraining but mostly have the wrong type of trainers. I overpronate a lot more with my right foot (right leg suffered the most) whereas I'm not far off being neutral in my left leg.

Recovery period I've found is an entirely personal thing - be sure you have the correct footwear and ICE the area regularly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shin splints...grading

sigh - I now have shin splints on my right leg,
gonna lay off running and use the X-Trainer to keep my fitness up - anyone know how long they usually take to heal ? Im thinking 2 weeks maybe ?
Hi

Medical term now "stress injury" in UK. (they call it "medial stress syndrome" in US). There are 4 grades of severity ranging from Grade 1 (mild periosteal oedema) to grade 4 (Fracture present). Treatment/rest time depends on grading, which is based on MRI. Low field MR is all that is needed.

David

·
Registered
158 Posts
The term shin splints does cover a number of injuries and I'm sure that many people have a stress reaction (which is the injury severity before a full stress fracture) and don't know it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Must agree with getting the right footwear..When I started running I just had some Nike trainers and found after running my shins were in bits, but after taking some advice I now have what I consider to be the right trainers for me and now do not suffer pain wise in the shins..Again each person is different so recovery time will depend but I would say listen to your body and it will let you know when you are ready to train again..just dont rush it

·
Registered
6 Posts
School boy errors

Hi Oli,
I too am currently suffering from what i think is a shin splint on one leg. I had a sports physio massage today and she explained that the best cure is the old R.I.C.E.R programme.
After doing lots of research on the web I believe i've made the following school boy errors,
1. Not stretching or warming up properly
2. Not stretching or warming down properly
3. and Not stretching enough

Prevention is always better than cure, and i'm guilty of counting the first few miles as sufficient warm up time instead of actually stretching out the muscles.

I've also been doing too many hill sessions (steep down hill can do the most damage).
Running whilst too tired - apparently the brain doesn't send the right messages to the muscles if you too tired
and generally over training
so basically i was a shin splint waiting too happen, i'm now on my bike for the next 48 - 72 hours, hopefully i'll be running before next weekend as i have a 9 mile race paid for!
Hope this helps mate!:idea:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts