Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should all trace of muscle pain from a previous session be allowed to subside before exercising again? Even if it takes several days?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would maybe miss a day if really painful, but would soon be out there again.

When you take part in events, it is suggested to do a slow recovery run the next day, 1-2 miles.

There is something almost sadistic in running with muscle pain, I quite like it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it actually do further damage then, if it's just the normal amount of post-exercise stiffness rather than specifically an injury?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
providing you are not injured and it is muscle stiffness it is fine to run as it will help loosen you up.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
If stiffness stopped me,I wouldn`t run very often.......

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
As above, quite often stiff for a couple of days after Sundays long run but find it helps going out and taking in slowly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok, that's good to know. I've been avoiding continuing exercise, whatever it is even muscle toning stuff, until previous pain is all passed. Makes for sloooow progress. I guess now I think about it, if you allow the muscles too much leeway with recovery, they'll never learn to toughen up! :p

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
amybird said:
Will it actually do further damage then, if it's just the normal amount of post-exercise stiffness rather than specifically an injury?

Running with, and tolerating the stiffness usually reduces the recovery time... helps to break up the painful scar tissue which is the cause of the pain.;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
This thread proves how useful this forum is. Having read the above posts, I have now decided that despite still being extremely stiff more than 24 hrs on from a half marathon. I will run tomorrow (albeit in a very elderly and gentile manner :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts