Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
8 times 30 minutes plus 1x 60 minutes post-FLM.

I'll probably watch it although I anticipate cringe-inducing moments like "they are ready to embark on the biggest challenge of their life. They will face gale-force winds, horizontal rain, possible injury and barking dogs. They will run further in a day than most people run in their entire life. Join us on a remarkable journey with these 13 everyday heroes."

Sick bag anyone?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I really hope the BBC have good insurance and lawyers,because at this rate they might kill one of those people!
Is it just me or is it irresponsible to put people through that? maybe get them to do a 10k?
Totally unfit to Marathon in 6 months? Get real!

·
Registered
158 Posts
This was really good telly I thought. These people are so unfit - most of them had real trouble walking a mile within 15 minutes never mind running.

They basically put them through various fitness tests and surprise, surprise it was confirmed they were all terribly unfit. One participant was described by the resident doctor that a person in a coma was more fit than she was.

I'd be gobsmacked if any of the participants make it to the marathon. You've gotta watch it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The programme concentrated on the really unfit ones, presumably because they either leave soon (dramatic tearful exit) or make a great improvement and are allowed to continue. some of the fitter runners were not featured at all, and maybe they will be o.k. i think we have to realise that by running the london what some contestants will do is run maybe 6 miles and walk the rest, whilst others, the ones we know nothing about, will run it in say 4 to 5 hours.
they all have a personal reason behind wanting to do this; accident, obesity, cancer etc, and if it encourages others to think about getting fit to take up a challenge then it will be a good thing. maybe we will see a knock on effect in the 5k race entries locally. i know that the women only breast cancer 5k races have really taken off in our area.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I didn't realise that I was taking my life into my own hands when I stand at the start line of a marathon!!

It made me laugh how they made it sound so dangerous!

"They could experience cramping, sickness, aches and pain" ... erm der!! Only if they don't train correctly and get the prep wrong...but isn't that what they are there to learn about as well??

I might watch next week's but I suspect that I'll just get frustrated with the series to watch much more

·
Registered
77 Posts
"The London Marathon the toughest race on earth all 26 miles of it"LOL
I thought the only one with any balls was the blind bloke should be good to see him finish,everyonelse will drop out or dead

·
Registered
59 Posts
admin said:
This is on again tonght if anyone wants to watch it.

I'm putting together a list of when all the commonweath games events are on TV which I'll post shortly.
excellent idea Dan!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I saw one of the 'run for glory' people out 'running' last Friday in Surrey.
If she looks that bad with two weeks to go there is no hope for her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts