Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone raced a mile?

I did today... It was the Fetch Mile Challenge at Palmers Park Stadium track

I was aiming for around 6.30 and I did it in....

6.25!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Never raced a mile but there is an annaul one mile prom race in town...I might give it a go just to see...don't really like short distances though.

Great time Trin...

..even greater MSI64

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn't really know what I could do because I'd never raced a mile before this one, so I figured I'd try for 6.30.
I expected it to hurt loads but I was surprised.

Arrived at Palmers Park Stadium in plenty of time to get plenty nervous...
Someone had offered to pace me and for a moment I wondered about changing my mind... what if I can't keep up... what if I fall...or fall to the back of the field...or...or...

By the time our group (sub 7's) were called, and I walked out onto the track I'd worked myself up into a state of panic

But we were off pretty soon after and I tucked in behind Blister (the guy who was pacing me) and just focused on staying in position. After the initial working at the pace I was surprised at how quickly I settled into it. The second lap felt ok but I'd been warned that the third lap would be the hardest so I prepared myself. But the third lap felt ok too, in fact I was considering pushing the pace a little more, but I didn't want to blow up in the final lap so I stayed in with Blister. The final lap I felt that I had more to give so I moved up a gear and pushed hard down the final straight coming in at 6.25! I was aiming for 6.40!

:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good report Trin...have something to aim at now!!

Off to 5k relay now...........eek!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Thats a great time Trin! Never races that sort of distance, don't think I would manage it to be honest. Good report as well!

Good luck Steve look forward to hearing all about it :)

O.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Never raced a mile, I'm not sure it'd be much of a result if i did, Trin. I took the little girl, 10 years old, to a running track last week as she was preparing for a relay race at school and she timed me running 100 metres flat out (16 seconds), so then I timed her and was staggered that she did it in 19 seconds (just 3 seconds slower than me as she is half my height!). So I decided to race her and gave her the three second head-start to make it fair. suffice to say, she beat me to the line right in the last metre. her brother was standing filming us crossing the line and she's taken immense pleasure in reminding me of it since:)

well done on your effort though. Good time.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never raced a mile, I'm not sure it'd be much of a result if i did, Trin. I took the little girl, 10 years old, to a running track last week as she was preparing for a relay race at school and she timed me running 100 metres flat out (16 seconds), so then I timed her and was staggered that she did it in 19 seconds (just 3 seconds slower than me as she is half my height!). So I decided to race her and gave her the three second head-start to make it fair. suffice to say, she beat me to the line right in the last metre. her brother was standing filming us crossing the line and she's taken immense pleasure in reminding me of it since:)

well done on your effort though. Good time.

But if anything... you should have had the head start. young kids have more power to weight ratio, that's why they can run like greyhounds! ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts

But if anything... you should have had the head start. young kids have more power to weight ratio, that's why they can run like greyhounds! ;)
aye, you're definitely right there! I couldn't get my head round the mechanics of how a little kid could bomb it like that:)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well done Trinity. I don't think I could cycle a mile in 6:25 never mind run it:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I once ran a 5:50 first mile on a 10 mile time trial that I completed in 64 minutes (yes i went out too eager), but never just timed myself over a single mile. I'd like to think I could get close to 5 minutes dead, maybe sub 5min? Now that would be cool.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I once ran a 5:50 first mile on a 10 mile time trial that I completed in 64 minutes (yes i went out too eager), but never just timed myself over a single mile. I'd like to think I could get close to 5 minutes dead, maybe sub 5min? Now that would be cool.
someone did 5.05 yesterday... stormed it!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've just been reading a book about fell running called 'Feet in The Clouds'. (Fantastic read by the way, seriously recommend it) and it talks about some of these guys doing a downhill mile in 3:24 in something called the 'Maniac Mile' road race in Yorkshire.
Any fell runners on here?
(My pb - a rather more sedate 6:50, trying to do 2k flat out..)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well my 5k race time today was done in 6'18" min miles. I guess a flat mile should be under 6mins.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my 5k race time today was done in 6'18" min miles. I guess a flat mile should be under 6mins.
Yep, I reckon... have you got a track near you? You could set up a 'Mile Challenge' for your club.

Break it down into standards... it's quite fun, kinda :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Yep, I reckon... have you got a track near you? You could set up a 'Mile Challenge' for your club.

Break it down into standards... it's quite fun, kinda :)
We haven't really...but could try Gt Yarmouth I guess....it has been muttered by club members before.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well Done Trin fantastic result :d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts