Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. ive just come back from the gym and discovered that the left side of my body seams weaker than my right. in other words i can do heavier weight reps easier on my right leg and arm than i can on my left.
this surprised me as im left handed, although i do play sports right handed (cricket, squash etc)

i also then noticed that when relaxed looking in a mirror my right should seams to be about 0.5 - 1 inch lower than my left.

i dont get any pain etc from any of this but im guessing its not normal???

is it a chiropractor that i should speak to?
is it gonna affect my running?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I always thought it was normal for one side to be stronger than the other, in the same way that one side is dominant. And that this does not always link to the hand you write with.

As to your shoulder dropping. Again we are not symetrical. I think you might be looking now you have got thinking.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fair enough... i was just worried about people pointing and shouting "come see the freek" but if its normal ish i wont worry

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
In a perfect world we'd all be perfectly symmetrical... but in reality none of us are. Differences between sides of the body vary from person to person, but during our everyday life the body adapts and counteracts these imbalances using different muscles etc...

I found biomechanical analysis to be a great way to see what was going on with my body whilst I was running. My legs move differently (left leg moves a lot more efficiently, whereas right foot overpronates and the knee drops inwards), but from the assessment you can work out what kind of strengthening exercises you need to do to balance things up.

In terms of whether it'll affect your running... it doesn't seem to have done so far, so happy days, but if you start to feel niggles in future it could possibly be due to imbalances. Hard to say until it actually happens - equally you could find that the body re-adjusts itself and you never have any problems at all :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts