Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rather insanely got inspired by the idea of doing a triathlon when I was in the middle of my marathon training a couple of years ago. Lord knows why. As if I hadn't taken on enough...

Anyway, I can swim breastroke for fairly long distances - could probably do 1000m in just under 40 mins, so not fast but I can do it without getting too knackered - but my crawl is crap. I like cycling but haven't cycled any proper distances for years and my bike is ok but not super duper or anything. I run but don't run fast. So probably will come bottom of the class in any event I try.

I went along to try out a tri club on Monday. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I thought I had had some humiliating experiences marathon training, but none of them were a patch on this... The guy asks me, how far can you swim. 40 lengths, say I smugly. Then I looked at him and the penny dropped. That's breastroke, I say. We don't do breaststroke here, he says. So I was consigned to swimming on my side up the pool dipping my head in and out of the water and trying not to bump into anyone else. I'm still aching now... but at least I graduated to the superman position, so presumably I wasn't wholly beyond redemption.

If I ever get as far as doing one, I already know the title of my next book: Up the Hill Backwards: Diary of A Triathlon Mum.

Think perhaps I'd better stick to marathons, but if I ever learn to swim the crawl properly I really would love to have a go at a tri!

Must be mad...

Marathon Mumx

·
Registered
76 Posts
What kind of triathlon club did you go to?

My sister did a triathlon and she was able to train with Farnham Triathlon Club and most of that was breast stroke. In the triathlon she swam 1 length fc and then 6 bst it was only a 400m swim so she was fine and had a good time. She really enjoyed it and carried on training with the triathlon club before she moved away (oh and snapped her achilies after playign the demon game.... football)

Triathlon is for anyone and everyone so give it a go! Who cares if you think you're bad, it's the hardest sport in the world, the chances are you're not going to be stone last in every discipline. Sometimes you might be, but I have never seen it happen. When you finish you can say, but hey I did it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts