Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks; I've recently upped my weekly mileage to train for a longer adventure race in September. Went at it like a bull at a gate, promptly suffered the symptoms of overtraining and suffered accordingly.

Anyway, lesson learned, but I'm looking at ways to improve recovery between runs. (I should add that there's plenty of scope for improvement, since my attention to this aspect has previously consisted of guzzling a bottle of beer in the bath!)

So I'm doing some reading on the subject and just wondering how others approach it, or even if anyone pays it much attention. Obviously as we get older our bodies repair slower and Mother Nature needs all the help she can get. Anyone with any tips/experiences?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
A warm down, hydration, food, rest, stretching.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nothing beats sleep.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Most of my runs these days are done later in the evening, once dinner has settled. Ideally I'd prefer to run first, but that's not an option.

I think I'm going to go for a cool down/stretch, followed by gritting of the teeth and a cold(!) then warm shower, then eat something protein biased like tuna/eggs and before getting to bed. And more water than I usually drink. (Don't like drinking loads before bed though - snag is it gets you up for a pee!)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Dave

you're not that old!

I would add: always rest the day after a hard session. I would have thought that you need at least 2 days rest a week even if you are highly trained. turning to your protein - I think you are on the right lines there. HOWEVER I would have it immediately after your exercise (within 30 mins) and in fact I would have whey protein. Combined with sleep and hydration I reckon these will make a lot of difference.

also try to schedule your session so that you balance the harder/easier sessions.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I'd give an update, after changing my post training regime as above. Well the changes have indeed made a big difference. As I'm a good boy now, routine is as follows:
Cool down properly, taking a walk/jog up and down the street. Then as I'm preparing post training food I do a bit of yoga, particularly the inverted poses plough and shoulderstand with the aim of reducing blood pooling in the legs. Hot/cold shower (cold on the legs only though!) then out in time for food ready. Food is quinoa/bulgar wheat mixed with boiled eggs, sardines and balsamic vinegar. (Actually really tasty!) Milk or water/juice drink. Bit more of the yoga. Sleep asap.

The difference is such than rather than hobbling across the car park at work the next morning, I can actually function properly and following a rest day I can sustain a proper training load. I'm naturally a skeptical bugger but the improvement has been really marked and I'm relieved at the difference this has made!
Thanks for all the input folks.

HOWEVER I would have it immediately after your exercise (within 30 mins) and in fact I would have whey protein.
(thanks 5k; any reason for the whey particularly?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts