Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, seems I am settling down to some steady running and have a vague idea I might be fit enough to race by the end of the summer, so, with that in mind, I was thinking about my weight. I have lost a few pounds and now weigh in at 12 st 1 lb. I am 5' 81/2'' tall 56 years old and have a slim build ( euphanism for not much muscle ;))

Anyway, what do you think would be a great racing weight, I was thinking about 10 stone, anyone of a similar build, or any ideas. Lighter, heavier?

Thanks - Tony

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi there

I am 5 nine, and weigh 13 stone hoping to get back to 12 1/2 by the time teh edinburgh marathon comes up, that was teh weight I was last year when I did it.

I think the lighetr the better for running , but it never stopped me . then again I am not aiming to win just get around faster then I did the time before

·
Registered
361 Posts
You could use this guide to give you an indication of how much body fat you have. There are other ones but I think they all use much the same formula.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/training/body_fat/body_fat_percentage.html
For a man the optimum is 15% fat.

The BMI measurement is another one, this one is the NHS one.
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I'm 5-5.5 tall weighing 131 Ibs. My body fat on the above guide is 16.4% fat which is much the same as my scales read. BMI is 21.79.

Although 15% might be 'healthy' the elites are under 10% and if you look up some of the profiles of top distance runners you will see that some are incredibly light.

If you can get ride of 2 stone of fat just imagine how fast you will be whithout carrying 28Ibs:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi all, seems I am settling down to some steady running and have a vague idea I might be fit enough to race by the end of the summer, so, with that in mind, I was thinking about my weight. I have lost a few pounds and now weigh in at 12 st 1 lb. I am 5' 81/2'' tall 56 years old and have a slim build ( euphanism for not much muscle ;))

Anyway, what do you think would be a great racing weight, I was thinking about 10 stone, anyone of a similar build, or any ideas. Lighter, heavier?

Thanks - Tony
I am the exact same height as you and weigh 9 stone. I was hovering around 9 stone 8/9 for months and was running consistently but since dropping down more I took a small leap in terms of pace and all round fitness. It's working great.

I am 24 though, I have no idea of age causing any differences in what ideal weight should be sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh, 24, I sort of remember that........................

Well I was thinking 10 stone, but I guess I will follow where my body will take me. Interesting thought though, I know its harder to lose weight when older, but I wonder, given most other factors being the same, could I reasonably expect to be down to a racing weight the same as someone less than half my age?

Thanks for the feedback - any other thoughts on weight?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ahhh, 24, I sort of remember that........................

Well I was thinking 10 stone, but I guess I will follow where my body will take me. Interesting thought though, I know its harder to lose weight when older, but I wonder, given most other factors being the same, could I reasonably expect to be down to a racing weight the same as someone less than half my age?

Thanks for the feedback - any other thoughts on weight?
Cutting out all processed food, cakes, bread, breakfast cereals etc and sticking to low GI stuff like beans, lentils, brown rice, oats with meat, veg, fruit every day has helped get rid of the weight and keep it off.
I'm down to the weight I was when I was in my twentys, infact some three or four pounds less I hav'nt got the muscle bulk that I had as a lad :(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was about to recommend racing weight, but you beat me to it Ellis.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Although 15% might be 'healthy' the elites are under 10% and if you look up some of the profiles of top distance runners you will see that some are incredibly light.
Even 5% body fat is not an uncommon target for decent amateurs, not just elites. I plod around weighing 135 lbs or so (I'm 5' 10'') and was recently measured at 7.1% body fat (professionally, with calipers). I'd hope to get closer to that 5% myself by the autumn, but I think that will require giving up beer for a month or two!

The point is, it really depends on how far one is willing to go in terms of restricting diet and getting lean. Although I've no doubt that there's also individual variation as to what the ideal racing weight would be -- extreme dieting might be detrimental to training, in which case you don't end up being faster after all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that one and all. Seems to me that for my height, age and build, and I know its only a rough approximation, but 9 stone instead of 10 would be more my ideal weight. Thats a bit scarry, but we will see, steady miles and a touch less wine I am guessing. The road for ever goes on...........

·
Registered
613 Posts
A bit late looking at the post but Im a bit scared by some of the numbers here.

I'm 50 yo male and train fairly hard, (about 40 to 55 miles per week).

I am 5'6" short:) and weigh in at 141 lbs. which is the same as I weighed 30 years ago.

If I lose just 2 lbs I go into the territory of looking hollow cheeked and being asked if I'm not well by people.
I don't drink and I don't gorge on junk food, no sugar in tea and no late night takeaways etc.
Maybe some of us are just made the way we are and shedding too much weight is just likely to make us unwell and weaker.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
A bit late looking at the post but Im a bit scared by some of the numbers here.

I'm 50 yo male and train fairly hard, (about 40 to 55 miles per week).

I am 5'6" short:) and weigh in at 141 lbs. which is the same as I weighed 30 years ago.

If I lose just 2 lbs I go into the territory of looking hollow cheeked and being asked if I'm not well by people.
I don't drink and I don't gorge on junk food, no sugar in tea and no late night takeaways etc.
Maybe some of us are just made the way we are and shedding too much weight is just likely to make us unwell and weaker.

Many marathon runners say they know they are ready for the marathon when friends and family tell them they look sick. I wouldn't use people's perception of what a healthy weight/look is as a guide to what weight you should aim for. But everybody needs to find that balance of losing the most weight to race well, but not so much that performance is impeded. I'm 6ft 1inch and currently weigh 160lbs, which is the lightest I've been since I was a teenager and I'm running well on the lower weight, but I feel I could lost another 7lbs. I'm not going to do anything drastic to get the weight down as I don't think it's healthy to obsess too much about "ideal" weight. But when I want to lose weight I try to just cut down on the treats, eat smaller portions and maintain decent mileage. It works for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't think weight really has a factor in being ready for racing. Ofcourse the lighter you are the quicker you move is a nice theory but I believe if you put in the right amount miles in your training and eat correctly whilst training your body will tell you the correct body weight. What good is it getting to a month before the race worrying about the extra stone? Start dieting and changing your routine around may just help you loose everything you have built on the last few months. From reading this its clear everyone has views on an optimum weight but at the end of the day each of our bodies are different and we should respect that and remember this isn't a boxing match you don't have to step on the scales before the big day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts