Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after about six months of running I developed shin splints and had to stop running for a couple of months. I then went to a Physio, who had some orthotics made up for me. (the soft variety, somewhat thicker than an insole.) The relief was almost instantaneously. This was the only time I got some quantifiable benefits from a physio.
I was at the recent marathon Expo in dublin, and talked to this lady who had a stall there selling "foot correctors". I am toying with the idea of having some of them fitted in an effort to alleviate the pain and discomfort in my toes, when I am running.
has anyone any experience of these? If I get these fitted and take out the old orthotics , will the shin splints return?
Also, they are quite pricey (€350), which would be a worthwhile investment if the issue was sorted, but would obviously be a waste of money if not

your thoughts

thanks
Paul_g

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Paul,
Hasn't it been suggested in one of your earlier threads that the numbness in your foot may be 'referred' from an irritation of your sciatic nerve?

What is a 'foot corrector' is this another term for an orthotic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edwina
I got the impression from replies I received that the toes thing might be a separate issue.
regarding the foot corrector, they did'nt look like the orthotic that I currently have installed, and were made from a rigid plastic.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'd look into it a bit further before replacing your orthotic. You obviously need to get a proper professional opinion (rather than rely on an internet diagnosis) but usually numbness and pins & needles it usually nerve related and given that you have been getting sciatic type pains down the back of your leg there could be some connection. I sometimes suffer with numbness in my heel on my left side but since my piriformis has settled down I've not had the numbness.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It might be that your orthotics need an adjustment. Just a thought but my custom made orthoses were designed (as wellas to correct my pronation) but also to make sure my metatarsals were in the correct alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts