Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all

I wasn't quite sure where to post this either here or in injuries.

I had Perthes disease as a child which left me with just less than an inch difference in length between my legs.

I am now 34 and apart from a limp I haven't really thought about it until now. I have been cycling and using a cross trainer for a while but would like to take up running. Due to the difference in length i find my foot fall & running style is all over the place and me running on a treadmill sounds like a herd of elephants bouncing through the house.

I think i really need a control shoe & some kind of orthotic to shrink the difference as the potential is there to really injure my hip.

Has anyone got any recommendations on what i could get or who i should see for advice
(I live in Birmingham)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Have you been to Birmingham runner? I believe they have an in house podiatrist as you have a leg difference you will probably need an heel raise and if you are going to take up running you need proper running shoes.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I can't offer any advice, but your story reminds me of a Brazilian runner by the name of Joachim Cruz. He was at his peak sometime in the 80's I think. At the time, he was one of the fastest 800m runners in the world. He was also well known for having quite a substantial difference in his leg lengths. The TV commentators would always refer to this whenever he was racing, and the cameras would quite often attempt to show his built-up running shoe.
So, it is possible for effective adaptations to be made to shoes in order to alleviate problems caused by leg-length differences.
Hope you find a solution. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies i will go to Birmingham runner and see what they suggest.

I will never be the fastest at anything, they took off my splints and I realised I was no Forest Gump.:d.

I would just like to run a bit to improve my fitness level & lose a bit of weight which benefits my real passion which is scuba diving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts