Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to sign up for a weekly spinning class close to home on Thursday nights simply because I've tried it in the past and really enjoyed the frantic pace of it and how good I felt afterwards. This is going to replace one evening of jogging (theres no way I can jog 4 nights a week and go spinning as well!

Do others take other forms of exercise as well as running? has it affected your running performance? I'm just being nosy!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think doing other sports as part of training for your main sports helps.
There are obviously different skills involved and these can help improve your performance.

For instance, my main sport is netball. Obviously running is a help as it gets me fit, but it has also improved my leg strength oddly.
We also play rugby in the off season and this helps with things like speed & agility, even though we (i) are already quite fast and agile, as these are important parts of our game.

Also, doing other things helps to overcome any 'boredom' you may get while training in your chosen 'sport'.
I know that when we never used to do other things in the off season, only more netball training i would get sick of it.

So I say go for it. Spinning will work different aspects of your fitness and that is a great bonus! Plus it's a great fat burner! :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I go go the gym a couple of times a week and feel it helps my running.

A couple of the bigger guys in the gym decided to do the spinning class in place if a cardio workout and loved it. Haven't got round to trying spinning classes myself tho.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
spinning will be a great cardio session without the pounding of the joints that a similar run would entail... cross training can certainly help prevent injury!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I cycle to work meeting that are close enough quite regularly, and was quite disappointed to find cycling appears to use completely different muscles and isn't any easier! That's probably a good thing though I guess.

Also play badminton very ocassionally, and am possibly going to start playing netball again (thanks again for that link GH!) A couple of my friends are keen to do some yoga classes which could be good, although I have no experience of doing any form of class activity before...

I also do the odd Davina high eneregy five or 30 minute workout - I know all her little anecdotes now, but the variety is fun!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
yes I do a great deal of swimming and train karate. Actually swimming is my main discipline, I used to swim competitively in my youth, trained with a masters’ club and used to train with an ex Olympic swimmer when I worked at the local swimming pools. Many of the people I trained with when I was young, in the 60s, went on to represent GB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cross training can be great at breaking the boredom of running and also allowing the key joints and tissues to be put under less stress. As long as this training does not replace a key run (e.g. threshold run, intervals etc) I think they can be good. I quite like doing light boxercise and functional training as a recovery session instead of a 2-3 mile run.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just got back from my spinning class and I'm absolutely shattered! it honestly was one of the toughest things I've done in a long time. I feel great for sticking the whole class out though and will definitely go again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I spin twice per week every week now. One of the classes has a 30 minute Abs class first, followed by a 45 minute spin session. It's quite frankly the toughest exercise I have ever had to do, BUT, how good do I feel after it!!

Spin has been really excellent for me. It has improved my CV fitness considerably, and has strengthen my Sartorius an awful lot, which helps take some of the strain off my calves and ever suffering Achilles!

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good non weight bearing exercise.

Ito.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Well I would but Mrs Squint wasn't too happy at the damage caused. Big garden though might give it a go out there. Risk getting wet if I fall into the burn that runs through the foot of the garden!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all

Weights twice a week for me.

Think that has helped me with the running as legs are building up a little now. If the weather is bad outside I have a mini stepper that I use for 30 minutes while Emmerdale is on :rolleyes:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do a fair bit of other exercise. I do Tae Bo, swim occasionally, work my abs once or twice a week and I have recently started doing upper body strength training once or twice a week. There is a great article on the Runnersworld website with cross training circuits which consist of segments of running alternated with strength training which I tried for the first time yesterday. It was good fun so I'm going to try and do that once a week from now on.

I could probably do with some lower body strength training too but find it hard to fit it in when I'm recovering from runs. But the Tae Bo includes a lot of lunges, squats etc.

As much as I love running it just doesn't make much sense just to exclusively work your lower body in a limited way, IMO.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I do a fair bit of other exercise. I do Tae Bo, swim occasionally, work my abs once or twice a week and I have recently started doing upper body strength training once or twice a week. There is a great article on the Runnersworld website with cross training circuits which consist of segments of running alternated with strength training which I tried for the first time yesterday. It was good fun so I'm going to try and do that once a week from now on.

I could probably do with some lower body strength training too but find it hard to fit it in when I'm recovering from runs. But the Tae Bo includes a lot of lunges, squats etc.

As much as I love running it just doesn't make much sense just to exclusively work your lower body in a limited way, IMO.
Star shaped my arse, doing all that you'll be fit shaped!

Tried spinning at work today, big lumps of steel hurt when you fall on them!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't do anything else at the moment. I am saving up to buy a bike. The main reason is to be able to take my son out. It'll be good for me too being that I'll have him on tow and good for him because its the school holidays and if I don't get him out of the house blood will be shed:eek:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went spinning again tonight and absolutely loved it!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts