Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something hurts. Typical as I race on Sunday.

I was having a lovely flat trot alongside a river in Cardiff and everything felt great for the first 8 miles. Then my left ankle starts to ache at mile 9. By mile 10 I had to stop, walked back to the car and atm it hurts to walk on.

The pain is on the outside, behind and below the ankle bone and is around where I turned it last Saturday on the cliff path.

Lots of rest now to see if I can fix it before Sunday. If it is no better tomorrow I might get it looked at.
:(

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I hope it's sorts itself out soon :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh I hate those little injuries that just seem to appear from nowehere. I had a similar one a week ago, my ankle (inside, above the ankle bone) started to hurt. At first I thought it was just more shin-splints but it was there all the time and didn't ease off once I started running so thought it was something else. A week later, and its gone!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was a niggle when it started, but something is not right.

I have talked Mrs Hrun into driving back to the hotel when she finishes training today, so I am in the pub :lol:

By 4.30 I won't feel it and hopefully it will be better tomorrow. Swimming only until Sunday I think.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ice does wonders I find it more effective for reducing the inflammation that ibuprofen

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ice does wonders I find it more effective for reducing the inflammation that ibuprofen
Slight problem, We are living in a travelodge this week, not known for their service levels

ah... anaesthetic... good idea ;)
It was until about nine when I started sobering up. I ate lots of chocolate last night too :((

Touch wood it feels a lot better this morning. I am going to swim ((I have to do something after yesterdays exesses) and no running until Sunday. We will just have to see.

Kind of puts me on a level with Paula Radcliff. I will be running unless my leg breaks :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
sounds like you have done a little damage to the peroneal muscles/tendons [delete as appropriate] when you went over on your ankle, the best way to build them up is to work them under a slight amount of resistance..... get hold of a peice of theraband [the thick elastic bad stuff physios use] maker a loop and put it round the leg of a table or similar heavy object, put the other end of the loop round your forefoot and then pivot the foot on the heel away from the table the resistance should be on the out side of the foot ie the inner edge of the foot should be nearest the table leg.... rotate and release 10-15 times once a day for a week then reduce to every few days for maintenence, if you place a finger at the head of the fibula you should feel the muscle working, this exercise will help to build the peroneal muscles so that when they get the sensation of you spraining the ankle they will contract and help to force the foot flat to the floor, this is another method of doing this which gets rid of the theraband and uses either an ankle weight or a tesco's bag with a tin of something in it to act as the weight [other carrierbags are available] but it is really complicated to try and explain in a few words

good luck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good luck getting it sorted.

Had a niggle with my hip last few runs but it seems to have sorted (think it was running on uneven ground - canal paths etc seem flat but undulate a lot and have bumps, so sometimes your foot comes down before it expects to and jars more - maybe this is what's happened with you)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heers Robb.

This is more than a niggle, the area looks swollen (only a little with no visable bruising or redness) and is tender to the touch. Oddly it is fine putting my foot down, but hurts as I lift off.

I just swam and that was okay, but it had better improve soon or Sunday is looking doubtful.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Heers Robb.

This is more than a niggle, the area looks swollen (only a little with no visable bruising or redness) and is tender to the touch. Oddly it is fine putting my foot down, but hurts as I lift off.

I just swam and that was okay, but it had better improve soon or Sunday is looking doubtful.
Ouch indeed :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts