Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have used the lockdown to get finally get fit but I guess predictably, I have picked up a few nagging injuries due to me overdoing the running.
I'm 52 and always been reasonably fit but with having more time to myself, I have increased my weekly mileage to around 40 miles.

I have developed a pain the the pit of my spine and have side strains on and off. I think it's due to my body just not used to the extra demands.
Senses this could be a common issue. My posture is not great but this is not affected my running when I only run two or three times a week.

I wonder if anyone has any advice or can point to any resources which can help build up my posture. I only stretch my legs before and after running.
Think I lack the discipline and knowledge to really stretch my whole body to the degree that is required.

I do regularly replace my running shoes and I invested an obscene amount on a new office chair, so I think I can rule out those sources for my injury.

Be great if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there is a solution they can recommend.

Thank you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I haven’t encountered this exact issue, but I will reply anyway. For a new runner the mileage is certainly getting up there, and getting quite high. I would simply cut back a touch for a while to what you feel is sustainable and let the body regroup and strengthen. If and when the pain subsides, introduce a bit of patterning, such as a cut-back every fourth week. In the longer term once the back has settled, you could introduce exercise to strengthen those areas, such as kettlebells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great, thanks Steve. Yes, I will cut back and see what happens. It's not a major issue now, but sense it need to address it before too long.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Happy - I'm 3 or 4 years older, and started running in the mornings as a youngster before school. I've run competitively for an athletics club, regularly ran half marathons (winning a few) and still run just to keep fit.

But while I used to go out every morning almost religiously, these days I only go out 3 times a week, with a typical weekly mileage of between 20 and 25. With a change in personal circumstances about 5 months ago it became a lot easier to go out in the mornings and I thought I'd increase my mileage and/or pace. But it hasn't happened, and my 10 mile 'long' weekend run still feels to be about my limit.

I'm not injured or overweight; I just think my body is telling me to lower my expectations. On my non-running days I usually include a brisk walk - typically under 2 miles - and/or mild strength work at home.

Of course we are all different, but basically I'm just questioning whether you actually need to increase your mileage? It seems to be doing you more harm than good at the moment, and even assuming you can get over the current hump in the road, I'm not sure whether ultimately you will see any significant benefit in achieving your aim.

So yes, I agree with steve in cutting back, but I would suggest staying cut back, and enjoying being fit enough and injury free. Good luck, whatever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Matt

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
My aching pains have actually disappeared, all within a day or so.
I think I need to be less paranoid when I pick up a strain or pain. I guess at our age it's inevitable.

I plan to keep to a schedule of running for two days and then having a day's rest, before starting the pattern again. I will limit myself to 6 miles for each run. Like you, I'm not overweight, it's more of a mental need to start my day with a run. With me working from home since April, I need that escape of getting out and about before my working day.

So if I'm looking at a weekly mileage of around 25 miles a week, I should hopefully not place too many demands on my body. I am careful to stretch before and after a run. I sense I need to add some body conditioning too, which I can do on my rest days.

Thanks again and hope you stay injury-free too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ha - I remember when I used to run on consecutive days, just :)

Well I'm glad you're ok now, and sure, make the most of it. I'm also working from home, and I know what you mean, but I do find that a walk makes a good start to the day as well. Being quite close to a park helps though.

Cheers
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts