Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I鈥檝e been suffering with burning calves for several years. They are now so bad I can鈥檛 exercise at all and have many a sleepless painful night. Nothing stops the burning 馃サ I鈥檝e seen various diffferent sport physios, including MSK and a Chiropractor. I have been given a clean bill of health apart from my Achilles. So it鈥檚 a bio mechanical issue and insoles for over pronation are apparently the only solution. However a custom made pair costs 拢170.

Can anyone who may have had a similar problem recommend an insole they鈥檝e used from Amazon or the like, with a successful outcome? I think it鈥檚 worth trying an alternative cheaper option before shelling out a small fortune.
Thank you 馃檹

Registered
Not sure what an MSK is but you can't get a clean bill of health from a chiropractor since he or she does not have a medical qualification. You should see a GP in the first instance since I don't believe a running niggle would give you calf pain that keep you awake at night.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you for your reply. My GP referred me to the MSK musculoskeletal physio, I have bowed legs which has contributed to the over pronation. I鈥檓 50 and have not had any problems since I hit 47. So any recommendations or help would be welcome!

Registered
I don鈥檛 want to state the obvious, but firstly have you looked up about runner鈥檚 shin splints, which covers many things including having much lower drop running shoes thsn daily life. Secondly, have you tried motion control shoes? Normally I wouldn鈥檛 recommend them but in your case maybe.

Registered
Podiatrist here, you don't need custom orthotics the studies show they're as effective as custom insoles in general so try some normal insoles firstly such as slimflex insoles you can find on Amazon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Podiatrist here, you don't need custom orthotics the studies show they're as effective as custom insoles in general so try some normal insoles firstly such as slimflex insoles you can find on Amazon.

Thank you Ellis, this is extremely helpful. I鈥檝e just ordered them and they will arrive tomorrow. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and am feeling hopeful 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ellis, this is extremely helpful. I鈥檝e just ordered them and they will arrive tomorrow. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and am feeling hopeful 馃憤

1 - 8 of 8 Posts