Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv got a 5km race in sep, in which i really want to get a PB in. I done my last 5km race in 23mins so i would like to do it in 21/22mins. But what with my accident early in the month, iv not been running as much and when i do my distance is only about 3-4 miles. What should i be doing training wise to get a good time i.e speed work at all. I have not been timing my runs but i do know on a treadmill i can do 5km in 24mins, and i cant go any faster as its only a 8mph treadmill, so can i do it i hope so,hope this set back will not stop me getting a PB. hayley

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You haven't really got enough time to build up your speed with speed work, without risking an injury.

So I would suggest some quality hill training to build strength in your legs and boost your lung capacity....both of those will help you run faster.

Find a good hill, preferably steepish, of 200 to 300 metres. Run about half a mile to warm up first, then run hard up the hill, and jog down to recover. Repeat a minimum of 5 times, building up to 10 over a few weeks.

If anything hurts...particularly in relation to your accident, then stop. There will be plenty of other 5k's to get a PB in

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trin thats what my plan will be, iv a steep hill a near mile away and will start tomorrow and take it as it comes with the hill training, hopefully with success and no problems.hayley

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks steve, not to bad. I run the mile there and ran the hill 4 times, without any problems,running and injury wise. Then ran back, but then as normal at about 2 half miles i get a pain in bottom of my neck/shoulder but it doesnt bother me to much as i was a mile from home any way.
But i always get an aching back for the rest of the day if i run, which as i know is not normal for me only since the accident.
But ill keep going as i cant let it stop me doing what i want to do unless it makes things worse.Suns out today so im hitting the beach, now my huts back to normal, just might not sunbath in front of it for a while H:)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did o.k yesterday, ran 4miles in 31min and wasnt pushing myself, a slow run for me it felt.In the hot sun,and no pains.
Just had back ache for most of the morn, i can live with that.
Going to hill train again next couple days, push myself for this 5km i want in 22mins.:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hayley - maybe treat your back to a massage? Are you doing any stretches or strengthening exercises for your back? It might only be a niggle now but if you push yourself too hard too soon it could get worse.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had my porridge and now an hour drive to see if i can beat my 5km P.B., suns out and i'll see what i can do wish me luck!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
we did a 5k today too :)

It was the North Somerset 5k club relays. I was part of our one and only ladies team, and Rich was actually two parts of our club's two mens team entrys.

Rich ran leg two of the first team and then leg 4 of the second team!

It was quite fun actually

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well even i didnt think i could do this, i ran the 5km in 19.12, still dont believe i did it.
It was a fast 5km the first man coming in at 14mins but even then i cant moan about my time.
I couldnt have pushed myself any more and the last 400m around the track felt like miles, but what a result:d Hayley

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Well even i didnt think i could do this, i ran the 5km in 19.12, still dont believe i did it. It was a fast 5km the first man coming in at 14mins but even then i cant moan about my time. I couldnt have pushed myself any more and the last 400m around the track felt like miles, but what a result:d Hayley
That's incredible Hayley. Very well done. We're proud of you!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for all your generous encouraging words, and trin your maybe right about my 10km time with the hills, that never crossed my mind.
I ache a little today but its not that bad, its given me the motivation to push myself on anyway.
My better half has changed shift pattern now so im going to join my local running club, no excuses ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts