Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered at which distance and on which course did you achieve your most satisfying P.B. Why was it particularly memorable for you? :d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Twinks,

I have only done a couple of 10k's......maybe another by end of next week. I did them 3 weeks apart and didn't train hard in between, but knocked 3 mins off my PB on a very similar course in similar conditions. I think it helped that I just relaxed and enjoyed the second one more, also at about 7.5k I found a load of energy to get a move on, maybe should have pushed harder a bit earlier.

Trouble is the next one is a harder course so my time will be slower.

Baggy.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Most memorable PB was probably my 5 mile best.
Ran in a handicap race chasing runners all the way. Ran 26.42
I wonder what I could have done that day in a proper race?

·
Registered
272 Posts
A 3km steeplechase pb at North of England Champs a few years ago. Never felt so sick before a race, ran an 8 second pb and won by 28 seconds!! Happy days

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Most memorable PB, I suppose, was my 2.54.18 in the London Marathon less than three weeks away from my 61st birthday - because it was the first time I'd broken three hours.
But my most satisfying race came just one week later when I won the MV60 category in the Three Peaks of Yorkshire - a 24 mile race with over 4,500 ft of ascent - and of all my trophies the boxed Gold Medal, presented by the 'Daily Mirror', is my most treasured.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've only done the one, a not very fast 2:18 HM. I'm sure it will always be special to me as it's what got me into running in the first place.

Another in 6 weeks so hoping to shave a few minutes off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Most memorable was glasgow half marathon last year, ran 1:16:47. Totally unexpected, I would have been delighted with under 80 minutes, but knocking 11 minutes off my PB was the highlight of the year. That, for me, exclipsed my 3rd place at Aviemore half marathon a month later. The glasgow half was a turning point for me, I started to take running more seriously. Having spent 15 years smoking, drinking and eating to excess I decided to leave that behind and concentrate on a healthier and fitter lifestyle.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I've got two most memorable PB's. First one was at the East Kilbride 10km last year - this was my first 10k, so finishing under 55 mins was fantastic.

My second 10k was in Paisley last August and was memorable because it was the first time I had beaten a PB (even though it was only my second race). I knocked 4 mins off my best.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hard to single just the one out really. But I'll go for a 10k back in 1993. Had a great battle with former Olympic silver medallist Mike McLeod and ended up with a 30-06 clocking. If I'd known at the time that it was so fast, I may've been able to have found that extra 7 seconds! :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
In some ways my very first 10K (Edinburgh, May 06). I'd started running at the end of January (at the ripe old age of 52), after agreeing to do the run for charity with a crowd from work. Finished in 48:28, coming 2nd out of our crowd of 14 (giving them a lot of years !). Gone faster since (4 mins) and better to come I think, but late in life made me think this running malarkey is actually OK, wish I'd tried it long ago.

·
Registered
506 Posts
my last half marathon in April this year. under 2hrs for the first time. I've still got more scores to settle in the mean time:)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Nothing stands out massively for me... i'm chuffed everytime I get a PB :)

Either my 10k XC race in October 07 as the day was just a nightmare. Was supposed to be running the Godiva Half in Coventry but had car problems, set about fixing it and maged to sort it but it would've meant arriving about 5mins after the race started. I was completely gutted having been training for it for some time! Then I remembered there was a local 10k XC race 'The Welcombe Wobbler' which started a little later and I could get to. I knocked over 2mins off my 10k PB, achieved my best finishing position ever (at the time). Every cloud has its silver lining as they say :)

Another nice one was a recent 10k, back in April. I'd trained hard and I raced hard over a snow covered course, lovely experience. knocked another 3mins off my 10k time mentioned above :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
My London marathon PB this year gave me the most satisfaction

It was a marathon PB by 9 minutes, but as I'd never managed to get under 4 hours at London before, it was a course PB by about 30 minutes :)

My first sub 4 marathon is next in line in the satisfaction stakes... 3.57 done at Cardiff in 2003

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have been running four miles a day this week carrying 60lbs on my back.
Started the week at 56.37.Last run this morning was 52 minutes dead
Chuffed to bits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts