Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Ive been running on my own for 2 years or so now, but purely to lose weight. Now im interested in starting marathons etc but have no idea about them. I just just wondering if I am currently anywhere near a decent pace? I usually run 5 miles in around 8 min/miles... I can run further at this pace but I prefer to keep to my circuit... is this pace good or bad?

what pace are half-marathons usually run at?

thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, that's a decent pace, as in, 8 mins per mile is respectable and suggests you are reasonably fit. Any large race will have people haring off at sub-6 minutes per mile and people struggling to do 12mins / mile

If you want to start doing marathons etc then brilliant :) You probably want to increase the length of your runs more than try to get faster though. Or you could do some shorter runs, and try to go really fast, up to you!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
5 Miles in 40 minutes is a good pace, indeed.

As Katten said, there are people of all abilities at most of the bigger races. On the other hand, smaller local races seem to have more of the faster club runners at them.

I'd suggest building up the length of your runs, even if you have to slow down a bit - if you're aiming for marathons, you'll definately need the miles in your legs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest mixing your sessions up. Otherwise, you will get very good at running 5 miles in 40 minutes (which is still good)

Go shorter and faster (but warm up first)

have at look at this

http://roadrunning.net/?p=16

and go longer and slower

Keep your body guessing - most runners plod around the same course then wonder why they are leaden footed on race days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts