Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :)

There is a half marathon on quite a flat course next sunday and I wondered if I could get some advice on pacing please?

The other week I did a 20k and had energy left at the end to speed up for the finish. It was quite a hilly course and the end was downhill, and i like downhill.

I did the 20k in 2hr 3min 50sec....want to do this half in 55mins...

should I start at a pace of 11km/hr and try to keep it up? Or start slow and speed up if I feel ok?

Thank you!!
Jo

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Jo :)

If you have no real struggle with the distance, your best bet is probably to start at about your target pace and try to keep it steady the whole time. Try not to be a "racing snake" and start off too quick, and if you feel fairly strong at the end, accelerate for the last mile or mile and half, and overtake a few people :cool:

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks Katten :)

I don't have hills to deal with this time, but I will have heat and humidity to put up with! They only have water at the pit-stops, no sports drinks, so may take oone gel or something.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

Gonna give my hand at some speed training tonight...although feeling a little off colour - it is soooo humid today! Gonna do 1000m in 4mins30secs...well, try and then die for a bit and then do it again !

Gonna run for 2 hours on the weekend and then just do some short distances the weekn before.

Argh!

It's a fun half though, with over 6000 runners and there is also wine to drink along the way haha...I may grab a bottle mid-run and save it for the end!...or if I give up half way I'll just take it easy and drink and walk!

:)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
wine during the race?? Where is it and where do I sign up :D

I don't have much advice as I tend to just head off and my body picks up the pace I am comfortable at maintaining, naturally I find I speed up during the race and give it one last push for the last mile.

All the best with your run and let us know how you get on :)

O.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There's a marathon in France, Medoc I think, where they give out wine all along the route. It would be interesting...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
All the best JW :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There's a very fine line between setting off at the perfect pace for the best possible time, and setting off too fast and 'blowing up'... your best bet would simply be to set off at a nice comfy pace and look to increase the pace in the last few miles.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree with Richard. It's important not to go too quickly at the start of a 1/2, better too slow than too fast, but obviously it's preferable to find your planned pace from the very start.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good luck with the race.

Try to do 1st half slightly slower than the 2nd half....negative splits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts