Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered how you guys force yourself to pace? I did a short 3 miles to test the old ankle injury problem (thankfully all seemed well) i had my forerunner on but still didn't manage to pace myself.

I had the fast alert on at 6.30 p/mile and the slow at 7.30 p/mile although still managed a mile and a half at 5.31 p/mile before having to slow. Are there any techniques used to help with pacing or is it a case of forcing yourself. I'm fine over longer distances 10K+ just can't ever seem to pace over the shorter distances.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I can pretty much judge my pace by how it feels now and when I check my garmin I'm usually near enough right.

I guess it's a case of getting used to how a certain pace feels over time

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trinity said:
I can pretty much judge my pace by how it feels now and when I check my garmin I'm usually near enough right.

I guess it's a case of getting used to how a certain pace feels over time
That's what i guessed unfortunately although the trouble i find at that distance is i tend never to do such short runs except when the running club does it as a timed event and then i have other members around to judge my pace by.

Oh well time will teach as usual i guess. The reason for asking i was thinking of introducing a short run on a regular basis prior to one of my gym sessions and cutting out the cv in the gym.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Pacing is one of the hardest things in running to master, and I think you just get better and better at it as you go... I guess I just ask myself "how long am I going to be able to run at this pace for"... which I find works okay - but doesn't really help you much if you don't know the answer :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pacing is one of the hardest things in running to master, and I think you just get better and better at it as you go... I guess I just ask myself "how long am I going to be able to run at this pace for"... which I find works okay - but doesn't really help you much if you don't know the answer :(
Very true although i do know the answer in most cases my brain tells me this time ill be able to go at that faster speed and get a pb! To competitive with myself i guess! lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts