Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is my first post on this forum and am selfishly looking for help straight away lol:p but i am sure i will be here for a while to come so hopefully can help in the future, anyways...

i have now been addicted to running since march, started off at a weight of 16stone 1. and am now weighing 13 stone 14. so have done really well and thoroughly enjoyed it!

over the past few weeks i have been getting a lot of pain around the left hip bone which seems to be spreading to the left knee now. i have been waking up often in pain when i have slept on my left side and it doesnt seem to be getting any better :(

i have still been running 6 times a week but it takes about 10 minutes of pain before i can start to feel a bit better in the runs,

can anyone give me any advice on what it may be and how to help it,

thankyou

Rich

·
Registered
674 Posts
How long are your runs? Six runs a week seems quite a lot if you're a bit new to it. Am not really qualified to give advice yet though :-s

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi mate. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are doing a serious amount of running!

I'd say try to do some cross training, along the lines of swimming or cycling for example, basically anything non weight bearing. Also, you could try mixing your runs up a bit, for example a few longer slower runs, then shorter faster ones. A sports massage could also sort out any niggles. Remember too that your body needs rest to help recover from small strains and mend any aching muscles. So taking a couple of days off might be a big help.

Though you'll find most people on here know a lot more than I do and they are always more than willing to help!

Ito

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my runs vary between 4 - 6 miles but i dont feel like running 6 times a week is excessive, i have been doing it for 4-5 months now, i am thinking about seeing a physio

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Seeing a physio would probably be a good idea as they can pinpoint the pain much better than you being able to say 'in the hip area'... there plenty of muscles/ligaments that could be affected in that area... Tensor Fasciae Latae, psoas major, iliacus muscle, then spanning down to your knee is the Illiotibial Band (ITB)... it's not really easy to say which is causing a problem over the internet :(

The likelihood is though that it's an overuse injury - unless you've taken a fall, or a blow to the area, then overuse is about the only other possible cause!

When I say overuse, this can be beyond a case of you just running a lot. It COULD be that you're running too often and that your body is struggling to keep up and fully recover, likewise it could be that your sessions are consistantly hard, again not giving your body enough chance to recover before your next workout... there could also be muscle imbalances, or biomechanical imbalances, or even an imbalance in your running style that will cause additional work for/strain on the muscles in that area.

You wouldn't go far wrong to allow yourself a bit of extra rest and try to ensure you incorporate a proper warm-down and stretch routine to help recovery as much as possible ;)

That's only my unqualified opinion though - based on the knowledge I've picked up whilst being a runner.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I suffered badly with the same symptoms when I first started running and it was down to an underlying biomechanical problem that was causing lots of inflamation in my TFL, ITB, Glutes, Hip Flexors and I was off running for about 3 months. Unfortunately the correct running shoes on their own couldn't sort it out so I now run in special insoles as well.

I don't know where you bought your running shoes but it might be worthwhile getting your gait rechecked. You need to cut down on your training as you are doing far too much too soon 3-4 times a week is sufficient for a newbie. I would definately see a sports physio as you may need some soft tissue work and a programme of strengthening exercises they may advise you to rest I would take it otherwise you may end up getting worse. You will need to ice the sore bits to reduce the inflamation and if its uncomforatble sleeping (drove me mad) you may find it easier with a pillow between your legs.

Congratualtion on your weight loss, don't give up hope as it does get better and now you have your first running injury welcome to the club - you are a proper runner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts