Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
am experiencing pain in calves and near shins when running but only in the first 4 miles or so, after that i am fine and can run faster and more comfortably. no pain after running. am 42 fairly fit and healthy. have started to run regularly once, twice a week in the last month, bout 8 miles max. wonder if anyone has an explanation, and a treatment to avoid it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what the problem could be but you may find that the area is getting inflammed after a few miles which will hide the pain. Where is the pain near your shins? Is it the muscle on the front of your legs? Does the muscle go very hard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there is no swelling, discomfort after running. pain in first miles might be due to stiffness. have tried stretching more but doesn't help

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
snap i get the same but only just lately past month or so.

I have invested in another pair of running shoes incase thats the problem so i will see how it goes.

I went for stability shoes and cushioning this time.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just a quick thought... are you warming up properly? seems strange that over time the pain would ease, unless it's stiffness that's easing once you're into your run?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts