Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago i started to notice a slight pain in the front of my left shin after i ran. It didnt hurt when i was actually running so i didnt think much more of it.
Now, the muscle behind the shin is agony. I cant run or even walk comfortably and when i stop the pain increases and the muscle stiffens right up. It hurts to put any pressure on the muscle and if i press the back of the leg, i feel the pain in the front of the leg aswell.
Could anyone please shed some light on this injury and what is the best form of action to take. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
runnerbean said:
About a month ago i started to notice a slight pain in the front of my left shin after i ran. It didnt hurt when i was actually running so i didnt think much more of it.
Now, the muscle behind the shin is agony. I cant run or even walk comfortably and when i stop the pain increases and the muscle stiffens right up. It hurts to put any pressure on the muscle and if i press the back of the leg, i feel the pain in the front of the leg aswell.
Could anyone please shed some light on this injury and what is the best form of action to take. :(
hopefully things are improving,but there are a number of possibile causes of your pain:i)rather than the gastroc it maybe your tibialis posterior;this can become inflamed due to excessive pronation;it lies deep to the gastrocnemius and runs on the inside of the shin to insert into the side of the foot;maybe your trainers have lost some support? or increase in mileage?or change of terrain? ice at least 3xday and relative rest ie cycling/water running if poss ii) if it was the gastroc prob better by now as it has great blood supply and heals well;if still painfull again ice and a good deep massage(tranversely accross muscle)at least 10 mins daily plus calf stretch(pushing wall over one)but raise your foot more on little toe side with book/brick so the stretch is felt more on inside of calf iii) one other poss is not muscle at all but a nerve thats been irritated (not as bad as it sounds). if i were you id 1) take a course of ibuprofen(assuming your not asthmatic,on BP meds or have gut probs),2)ice the area regularly,3) stretch as discomfort allows(holding at least 10 secs)4)reduce mileage/xtrain,5)check out your trainers....hope this is of use to you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts