Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t think it is an injury as such but more of a nuisance.

I get a sharp pain in my right buttock when I go to :embarrassed: :-

Bend down to pick something up
Sit down
Pull on trousers or even socks
Sit up in Bed

The above are just a few of problems I get.

I have been seeing an osteopath who has been manipulating my back and from what he can gather I have a small group of vertebrae which appear tight, he gave me a series of stretching exercises to do which I have been doing, but it has now got to the point where I am not making any progress. The osteopath has suggested I have an x-ray which I am going to speak with my doctor about on Monday, so I will see where that takes me, it doesn’t help that she doesn’t believe in osteopathy, so I will probably get told off for not going to her first, but I can deal with that.

I am interested to know if anyone on here has suffered with such a problem and if so do you still have it or how did you get rid of it.

It doesn’t impair my running at all; one of the reasons why recently I have laid off the running was to see if it would help improve my situation.

Thanks TT :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry to hear that TT, I had something similar a long time ago and I just put it down to a muscle type strain thingy, which disappeared on its own. Is the Physio related to this injury or for something completely different as my Brother had some stuff done on his lower back and he felt pain and aches all over his body for weeks.

Sorry I can't be more precise :d

Hope it fix's soon.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Have you had it long? If so, could maybe be a positional thing, if you sit more heavily on the right side :huh:

Anyway hope it gets better soon :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Katten said:
Have you had it long? If so, could maybe be a positional thing, if you sit more heavily on the right side :huh:
hmmm... worth checking that as it could be the case.

It sounds like a pulled muscle or inflamation...
Running in the forest a couple of months ago I was lost in my thoughts, hit a stone with my left foot and almost fell. I actually made some metres on my hands but managed to regain balance and keep on running...
Well, two months later I still have an inflamation at the base of my left thumb that doesn't seem to want to go away...

How weird... a hand injury while running :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Katten said:

Anyway hope it gets better soon :)

I only noticed it about June time this year, but I could have had it longer but only just tuned into it about then.

I will see what the doc says :huh:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nice .....is Dave having a baby?

Is something pinching your sciatic nerve Twinks? I would have thought the osteo would have tested for that though

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steady Edwina said:
Nice .....is Dave having a baby?

Is something pinching your sciatic nerve Twinks? I would have thought the osteo would have tested for that though

The osteo doesn't think it has anything to do with that as the pain doesn't transfer from my cheek to anywhere else.

I went to the doc's today, and he said in a nutshell that loss of weight around the glutes has exposed the nerve and it may now be catching on either a bone or cartilage, he too doesn't think this is sciatic either, although when I told him that I have a group of vertebrae that are tight, he dismissed that also as having anything to do with the problem. He reckons that after a while the nerve will get used to it and stop causing the pain, but it has been at least 6 months and nothing has changed. I am now being referred for an x-ray although the doc doesn't think this will show anything up, apart from that I don't know what else to do. :huh:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trinity said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the piriformis yet.... has that been brought up by your physio Twinks?

oooeerr whats piriformis, I will google it, thanks Trin

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The piriformis is a small muscle in your backside - piriformis syndrome is a form of pseudo sciatica. Basically in a small proportion of the population the sciatic nerve runs through the pirformis and it irritated by the muscle. Basically the muscle becomes overworked and tightens. Typical symptoms can be a numbness in your backside after sitting for long periods, pain down the back of your leg, deep ache in your backside and some people report that the affected leg seems to lag.

Massaging your backside with a tennis ball can bring some relief or paying someone to stick their elbow in your backside....but as the sciatic nerve has been ruled out.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steady Edwina said:
The piriformis is a small muscle in your backside - piriformis syndrome is a form of pseudo sciatica. Basically in a small proportion of the population the sciatic nerve runs through the pirformis and it irritated by the muscle. Basically the muscle becomes overworked and tightens. Typical symptoms can be a numbness in your backside after sitting for long periods, pain down the back of your leg, deep ache in your backside and some people report that the affected leg seems to lag.

Massaging your backside with a tennis ball can bring some relief or paying someone to stick their elbow in your backside....but as the sciatic nerve has been ruled out.
Thanks for that SE, it sounds a bit like what you have just described except the pain is short and sharp and only when I do certain things, I don't have problems when running, walking etc, I don't get numbness, I have just been looking it up on google and there are some stretches I will try for a while and see how it goes.

So you reckon wobble around on a tennis ball might help, well I will give it a go, I will try anything to get rid of it well almost anything ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts