Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if someone can tell me why my shins hurt so much when I run? Now I am able to run further I'm finding I'm getting quite a bit of pain and they feel rather strained. :(

Will the pain go away? Can you recommend anything to help?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi kylie.
Have you got yourself a gait analysis yet?
If you pop in to a good running shop they will check this out for you and ensure that your are running in the correct type of shoes.If you are not ,this can cause you problems.
Also another thing to watch is that you are not doing to much too soon in terms of increasing your mileage,one thing that you will hear time and time again is not to increase your mileage by more than 10% per week to lessen the risk of injury and allow your body to adapt to the new workload.

I'm sure others will reiterate this and probably add more.
The advice you'll get on here will be worth listening to even if everything else isn't;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hi Kylie.

I agree with hot foot on this.

My shins were really painful until I had my gait analysed and a correct pair of shoes recommended.

This cleared up my problem almost overnight.

Good luck. Dave.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, shoes are most likely your problem. If you look at the RunnersWorld magazine website - they have quite a bit of informative stuff about shoes and feet type and gait.

Start by looking here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=481

But then theres a lot more on that website.

As HotFoot says: you must get a gait analysis done - and most good running sports shops will do these for you, often free of charge, although apparently not always. There may be somebody on this forum who lives in your vicinity and can recommend you a good shoe shop.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice again!

I bought a pair of Nike Air Max as I was told by my personal trainer that the trainers with bubbles on the bottom are the ones I need. Apparently they will stop me from getting shin splints and that sort of thing. I'll be sure to get my gait analysed ASAP.

I don't think i've increased my mileage too soon. I've been quite good with that, I didn't want to do myself more harm than good.

The website looks quite good too, I've got absolutely no idea what sort of feet I have. I'm not really the best fan of feet to be honest!! :d

I'll keep you posted with how I get on!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I suspect you overpronate and once you get that corrected through at stability shoe you should be ok. My shins are sore today and I think I need a more controlling shoe than I'm currently wearing either that or my orthotics need adjusting.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
:mad: Steve you are not going to hijack poor Kylie's thread are you?

Kylie - you might find some strenghtening exercises for the shins might be useful. Like walking on your heels for 5 mins each day. Also try doing some doral flexions (thats when you pint your toes back towards your shin) about 3 x 12 reps. Make sure both you lower and upper calf muscles are stretched.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha! That's ok, I don't mind you hijacking my thread at all!!

I've found a shop near me that does the gait analysis so I'm off there next week. In the mean time, I'll do those excersises and warm up a little better before my run in the evenings.

Will do the walking on the heels for 5 mins each day at home, think I might get a few strange looks if I do it in the office!! Still, it might put a smile on some of the miserable gits faces!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Kylie said:
Haha! That's ok, I don't mind you hijacking my thread at all!!

I've found a shop near me that does the gait analysis so I'm off there next week. In the mean time, I'll do those excersises and warm up a little better before my run in the evenings.

Will do the walking on the heels for 5 mins each day at home, think I might get a few strange looks if I do it in the office!! Still, it might put a smile on some of the miserable gits faces!!!
There you go SE...all's fair in love, war and posting!!:d

More importantly Kylie...how high are those heels?!!;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Now what have you done Kyles - I quite often walk around the office on my heels work colleagues think I'm daft anyways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha! Sorry SE!

I would normally wear quite big heels, mainly because I'm only 5 feet 2!:embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ok been to see the podiatrist today and I don't have classic MTSS but peristosis - its an inflamation of the sheath and connective tissue around the shin bone. If it gets worse there is a high chance I'll develop a stress fracture - he tested for this and fortunately I don't have any.

I've had an adjustment to my orthotics, some shin supports and I've been advised to try and reduce my training intensity by 25% (he wanted me to rest completely but understands I have a race later this month). I'm trying to think how best to do this but still maintain the stamina I've recently gained not sure whether to stick with 3 runs but reduce the mileage of my longer runs or to do maybe just do 2 runs and maybe substitute a run for some form of cross training but it would need to be something to maintain cardiovascular fitness.

I've also got to try and get off the roads for one of my runs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Ok been to see the podiatrist today and I don't have classic MTSS but peristosis - its an inflamation of the sheath and connective tissue around the shin bone. If it gets worse there is a high chance I'll develop a stress fracture - he tested for this and fortunately I don't have any.

I've had an adjustment to my orthotics, some shin supports and I've been advised to try and reduce my training intensity by 25% (he wanted me to rest completely but understands I have a race later this month). I'm trying to think how best to do this but still maintain the stamina I've recently gained not sure whether to stick with 3 runs but reduce the mileage of my longer runs or to do maybe just do 2 runs and maybe substitute a run for some form of cross training but it would need to be something to maintain cardiovascular fitness.

I've also got to try and get off the roads for one of my runs.
Buy an aqua jogger and run in the pool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds nasty SE, hope you're ok! Try and go easy for a bit. :(

What's an aqua jogger? Never heard of that before! :confused:

Thought I'd let you know that I've got a new pair of trainers and what a difference they have made! Fixed my shin problem pretty much instantly and they're so much lighter than my others.

Thanks again for all your help and advice! :d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts