Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I went out for a 6 mile run on Saturday and then again on Sunday, but after about a mile I was experiencing pain in the side of my left thigh, which meant I wasn't able to carry on. I did have it on the Saturday, but not until about 5 miles. Has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions on the cause and cure? :(

Jo

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Where abouts on your thigh was the pain? Up by the hip or by the knee? What sort of pain it is? When does the pain occur?

Unless you are a really experienced runner it is best not to run two days consequtively as its often takes the body a year to adapt to the intensity of running so you need to although your muscles to recover.

I would rest for a couple of days, ice anything that is sore or swollen and try a gentle jog in a couple of days about 5k no HMs. If the pain continues past a week you may need to get someone to check it out.

Are you stretching properly? Quads, hamstrings, calves, hips, glutes, hip flexors? There are some good stretches on the Tamar trotters website.

Hope the pain eases soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pain is not far below my hip, and is a sort of shooting pain, similar to a trapped nerve pain. I do some stretching, but probably not enough, it is an area that I need to concentrate on more, I will also go to the Tamar Trotters site and have a look at the stretches.

I don't usually run 2 days in a run, but it was such nice weather at the weekend, I just felt the urge to go for a run!!!

Thanks
Jo

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A good stretch for your ITB (this is a big tendon that links your hip to your knee and runs along the outside of your thigh) is your cross your left leg behind your right and lean over to the side and push out your left hip. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the right side.

To maximise the effectiveness of your stretches you need to hold them for between 20 - 30 seconds. Make sure you stretch after every run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts